What are you playing during Coronapocalypse?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Indy, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I guess it's also worth noting that I plan to have a docking station, so the quality of the screen of the laptop itself is of little concern to me.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

You haven't mentioned anything about making this thing mobile and you mentioned the screen isn't very important as you will have a docking station. Why a laptop instead of a desktop?

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Fiance wants the mobility. She has this cutting machine she uses for some of the crafting stuff she does, and I guess there are software components to it. She wants to be able to have the laptop in the same room as the cutting machine when needed. So we were considering doing a gaming desktop and a separate laptop for her, but that just seemed like a little much, considering I bought a Series X and plan to get a PS5.

I plan to hook the docking station up with my current office setup for work and have a KVM switch. But I can definitely see myself wanting to get out of the office from time to time and using it as a laptop in any other room of my house.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  4. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

You'd want to check if the motherboard can handle more ram, if so you can buy it and replace it yourself if you need it. Same thing with hard drives. I usually buy the smallest drive from the OEM, then replace it with an M.2 that I bought on Amazon and reformat as soon as the laptop comes in. You're not going to be replacing the GPU or CPU but hard disk and RAM are generally pretty easy to access.

5. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I use a laptop exclusively. It's normally on my desk hooked up to my docking station, peripherals, and 5120x1440 monitor. But it's super quiet, not a furnace, doesn't take up any room, and I can grab it and go when I need to. I generally don't need the raw power of the top end GPU, the mobile variants are generally more than enough for what I need.

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Got selected to buy a PS5 tomorrow. So that’s fun.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Started at “over an hour” wait. Crept down to 58 minutes, then 54, 47, eventually all the way down to 10 minutes before I’d be let into the event.

them it crept back up slowly until it was back to “over an hour.” Then the event ended without ever letting me in.

Sad day.

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

9. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

11. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

12. KyleAlexanderfan

This is a company I kept coming back to when I made my last purchase in 2020. Had to cancel my order unfortunately due to the timing of the shipment and got an Asus Rog Zephyrus M15 or something instead but would've been better off with Eluktronics. They go unnoticed but get a lot of high praise when you google them or search on youtube.

Nice that you can have a plain chassis as well. I think I ordered a Eluktronics MAG-15 Ultra Light Magnesium Alloy 15.6" 144Hz Gaming Laptop (1TB PCIe SSD + 16GB RAM) for like $1699 at the time.

https://www.eluktronics.com/

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Why? lol

14. KyleAlexanderfan

I don't know about their new lines but I think this was the video that had convinced me to go with this one at the time. My focus was on thinner/less gamer looking laptops. Think you can even remove their logo from the screen lid.

15. KyleAlexanderfan

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I don't care at all if it's thin or less gamer looking. Their options are like, $600 more than the one I've selected.

17. KyleAlexanderfan

For which? Their Alienware rip-off one isn't one I would consider.

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I don't care about the look at all. I don't think the laptop will ever leave the house, and even if it did, that's just not something I care about.

I'm already gonna have to drop an extra $200-300 for a docking station, plus whatever a KVM switch costs, cables, headset, etc. I'm not trying to add an extra $600 onto just the laptop.

19. KyleAlexanderfan

I would avoid anything over 1080p on a gaming laptop. The GPU will go outdated quickly and its accelerated even further by an unneeded 1440p or 4k screen. IMO those are gimmics.

I had a 4k one a couple of years ago. I never was able to run anything above 1080p. Even when it was brand new.

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Show me an Eluktronics laptop that's 3070 and gets me 2 TB SSD, and 32 GB RAM for anywhere close to $1,800.