What are you playing during Coronapocalypse?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Indy, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The Lenovo is 720p, is it not?

2. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

What kind of 3070 though? The mobile GPUs are tricky.

3. KyleAlexanderfan

No thats the webcam.

The display is: 16.0" WQXGA (2560 x 1600) IPS, anti-glare with Dolby Vision™, HDR 400, 500 nits, 165Hz

Not 4k so it might be fine. You may end up downscaling your resolution most of the time to 1080p though to increase performance. If they had the same specs in a 1080p model for less money that would probably be the better buy.

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'm going to be plugging it into a docking station and using it with my 2 monitors 95% of the time that I use it.

5. KyleAlexanderfan

They've started making multiple versions of mobile GPUs so a 3070 isn't the same from laptop to laptop. I think there's like a max-p or max-q or something which makes a big difference. I did a lot of research into a couple of years ago but sometimes they hide that distinction in the fine print. The lower-end version usually runs like a 3060 (or a 3050 if its a 3060) with slight tweaks.

Something to keep in mind before you buy.

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX™ 3070 8GB

7. KyleAlexanderfan

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I literally watched a video from that same guy in which he put the Lenovo Legion 5 and Legion 5 Pro in his "S" tier for laptops. He would have also put the one I'm getting in that tier as well, but at the time it was too expensive, and he took a random issue with the 17 inch version. I'm not getting that version, and it's now cheaper than the other ones he listed.

I think the one I'm getting will be fine. Now I just need to find inexpensive accessories.

9. KyleAlexanderfan

The accessories are the most important purchase don’t skimp.

10. KyleAlexanderfan

Is one of those 15"? I may be in the market again at the end of the year if I can't get my hands on a new desktop GPU. I might try to stay away from the ultra book type gaming laptops as much as I love the thinness and lightness. They really suffes with heat throttling unless you have it on a permanent cooling pad or something and even then it may not be enough.

15" has always been the sweet spot for me. I almost went with a 14" last time. 17" I tried once and that's just too big. Haven't seen a lot of 16" ones.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Yeah, the 5 and 5 Pro both come in the 15". Those are both 2021 versions. The one I'm getting (5i Pro) is 2022. He put it in C tier, but only based on the 17" model not having some of the upgrades he would have expected. He said if you don't care about that, it's S-tier. I thought that approach was weird, but either way, it gave me the information I needed.

If you like Dell, he also rated the G15 pretty highly as well. A-tier, I believe. It has DDR5 and more cores, at least in the model I was looking at. It was about $200 more expensive though.

12. KyleAlexanderfan

I'd probably go with an AMD laptop this time around. But CPU isn't going to be a big deal. Bottleneck always gonna come from the GPU/cooling in a gaming laptop.

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Don't really know what any of that means. I'm just ready to play modded Minecraft.

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I made my purchase. Now I just need to find a docking station, a KVM switch, a new headset, and the right cables to hook everything up.

But that is for a different day.

15. KyleAlexanderfan

Let me know what you find for a KVM. I would be sure it's able to utilize the internal GPU properly. A lot of cheap ones out there.

16. KyleAlexanderfan

AMD vs Intel. AMD been kicking their ass lately in the processor department. A lot more (multi-threaded I think? Intel is still ahead on single core) power for less money. And less heat. But some laptop manufacturers have been failing to pair the new AMD chips with good components.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

This is what my buddy recommended. He uses the same brand, but his is 4 computers, 4 monitors.

18. KyleAlexanderfan

Didn't load.

19. KyleAlexanderfan

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

It was there when I posted it. Annoying. Here's the description:

2 Port KVM Switch Dual Monitor HDMI 4K 60Hz for 2 Computers 2 Extended Display with Cables, No Extra USB 2.0 HUB, Supports YUV 4:4:4, HDCP 1.4, HDR 10, EDID, Audio, Hotkey 922HUA-1A