What are you playing during Coronapocalypse?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Indy, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

It’s so good. If you haven’t played the earlier games (I hadn’t), I highly recommend reading a synopsis of the the events that lead up to the beginning of GoW 2018. It helps with understanding so much of what happens in the game.

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Also, I recommend paying close attention to the subtle details of cutscenes. So many small but meaningful interactions that are easy to overlook.

3. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

I tried GoW but couldn't get into it. Too linear and hack and slash for me. Felt like that recent Star Wars game Fallen Order which I couldn't finish either.

4. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

That's how I'm starting to feel about it. Just not much depth to the gameplay and it gets repetitive pretty quick.

I feel like Returnal has ruined me for a lot of games moving forward. Nothing else touches it, imo.

5. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

For any of you that enjoyed Shadows of the Colossus, you may want to check out Praey for the Gods. I haven't installed it yet and it'll probably take me a month or so to finish but SotC was a game I really enjoyed back in the day and Praey looks to be a very similar game.

6. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I just started Arkham Asylum again while taking another break from Skyrim. After finishing Mass Effect again. I replay old games way more than playing new ones

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

It opens up once you get to the lake of the 9. Lots more to explore and more puzzles to work through. Not sure if you made it that far.

Try upping the difficulty. The harder difficulty forces you to utilize all of the intricacies of the combat system that the normal difficulty levels just don't really require.

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'll be honest - wasn't loving GoW Ragnarok at first. Might have been fatigue from having just played through the first one again immediately before starting Ragnarok. Might have been a slow start. It feels like every conversation, even the ones with side characters, is super dramatic and emotional, where the 2018 game did a phenomenal job of weaving normal conversation into the journey.

But as it has gone on, I've really come to enjoy it. The story has been top tier, which is impressive considering how good the original was. The combat has gotten more involved, and they've done some really good stuff with some of the ancillary characters. There haven't been as many surprises, which is one of the things I loved about the 2018 game, but I truly have no idea what is about to happen as I approach the final few missions, which is exciting.

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Bought FIFA 23 because of the WC. I haven't played a FIFA game in any serious fashion since 19 or 20, but I wasn't surprised to come back and learn that there are still so many issues. Thus, I have questions:
    • Why can my opponents’ defenders, who are facing their own end line, pass the ball in the air, on the dot, to a player closer to mid field behind them (i.e. they can't see them when making the pass), but my defenders sometimes send simple A passes, intended for teammates right in front of them, directly to defenders? I get that passing attributes matter, and defenders are worse passers, but the no look aerial pass to a guy 50 yards behind you isn't something anyone can actually do, let alone a defender with a poor passing attribute.

• Why do they allow high pressure tactics? If I steal a ball off an attacker in my own box, there should be no way for my opponent to immediately have a defender in front of literally every single one of my teammates. And then my teammates just stand there, allowing the defender to stand in front of them. It leaves me with no other option but to punt the ball away and hope to win a header. It frequently results in a turnover in my own box as I search for any teammate who isn't covered by a blanket defender.

• Why are there so few fouls? This one ties in with the previous issue because attackers should not be able to strip the ball off defenders so frequently and so easily. They're attackers. They're not good at tackling or slide tackling. Yet they strip the ball constantly from bigger, slower defenders, even while I use the "box out" button. They literally just run around them (in a circle), and do so faster than my big guys can turn. Attackers should foul more frequently, which would be more realistic and make it harder to use the high pressure tactics that make the game so sweaty. It's very common for a game to have 0 total fouls between the two teams.

• Why don't the people making a soccer video game understand how advantage works? I’ve had examples where I’ve won the ball in my box, gotten fouled, and then had my next pass immediately intercepted in or around the box. They play advantage and allow my opponent to just play on in or around my box. It’s the most absurd thing I’ve ever seen. Why would I ever want to play advantage in my own box when my next pass gets intercepted?

• Why is it still so hard to change to the exact player you want? In a game that hinges on specific reactions in specific moments, how have they still not figured out a way to allow you to easily switch to the exact defender you want to switch to? It's so common for you to run a defender completely out of position by mistake because you assumed the game would be switching you to a different player. I had one a couple days ago where, after a corner, my opponent went out on the break. He was straight up sprinting directly at one of my defenders. It took me 3 times of changing players before I FINALLY got control of the defender he was sprinting towards, but by that time, it was too late, and I missed my tackle, leaving him wide open for the next 20ish yards to my box.

• Why can't they figure out how to make Pace less important and passing more important? Players like Toni Kroos, an 88 overall in the game and obviously one of the best midfielders in the world, are literally just unplayable in any sort of competitive FIFA mode. The high pressure tactics put a defender up his ass constantly, and he's too slow to outrun them and turns too slowly to angle a pass away from them. I'm better off using some 78 overall Cambodian midfielder that I've never heard of because his Pace is 85. Passing only 72? Doesn't matter. He will still make 98% of the passes Kroos can make at any given point.

• Why haven't they figured out how to incorporate the realistic physics of motion? If I pass the ball up to one of my two strikers, then pass it horizontally to the other striker while sending the passing striker on a run, my opponent's CB should not be able to both step forward towards the passing striker as he receives the ball, and then completely recover to get to the ball first when the ball inevitably makes its way back to him once he makes his run. The motion you see from both your striker and the recovering CB is so [uck fay]ing absurd as to be laugh out loud funny. The striker is just faster than the CB outright, but from what you see in the game, you'd think the CB had double the pace of the striker.
    I might add to this list as time goes on. May even post videos with examples.

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Another one:
    • Why does the ball always seem to bounce right towards a player when it's deflected? That's usually the best way to tell who the game is scripting for. If you tackle your opponent 4 times in one possession, and the ball bounces directly to another one of his players all 4 times, allowing him to go on and score, then you aren't winning that game.

11. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Almost making me not want to play. We had a good time. Yelling at defenders and crazy bounces and turnovers. Me losing to Portugal via 2 Ronaldo goals in extra time in first half and end of game. Kids are old enough for me to ask “wtf is my defender doing” and then laughing at me getting riled up. Replaying nasty moves. Replaying horrible defenders.
    When we play tonight, as I get near the box I’m just gonna hit A 3x then B. I’m too slow or too much lag to get a shot off too many times and I don’t finish many crosses. Best way I’ve scored is to dribble attack from the wing then a couple quick passes and get a shot off.
    I like calling in a teammate on corners too then attacking as everybody is in the box

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Physics of motion

https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/just-chappy/video/169384960

Watch at the 22 second mark, how he pulls his CB up to meet my CAM, then somehow recovers to overtake my ST before he can even get his second touch. That sort of movement makes no sense, even if the CB is Usain Bolt and the ST is my 8 year old niece. But then consider that that Striker has 91 pace, and it becomes even more ridiculous.

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

If you want to score, just do this:

https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/just-chappy/video/169385092

Honestly, best way to score is to take Real Madrid, run Vinicius Jr up the left sideline to the end line, then do a simple A pass to cut the ball back to Benzema, who should be wide open in the middle of the box (similar to what happens in the video above, minus the skill moves to actually beat the defenders).

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Here's a good example of physics of motion and scripting (at the 23 second mark). Ever seen a guy go backwards while running forward?:

https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/just-chappy/video/169385111

This is blatant scripting. I'm up 2-1 and out on the break with Neymar. There's not a Martinez in the game with higher pace than Neymar, so there's no way in hell he should be catching him here, let alone running him down before he reaches midfield.

16. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

17. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Hogwarts Legacy is pretty damned awesome.

18. Volsdude

Volsdude Well-Known Member

Was loving it. Beware the battle arena quest. Lost 8 hours of progress bc I died during it and it reloaded me 8 hours behind. Taking a hiatus to calm down lol

19. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I manual save religiously so I would hope that keeps me from having any of the same issues

But that sucks

Volsdude likes this.
  20. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Yeah. I’m finding it pretty easy but in an enjoyable way. If I want dark souls I’ll play dark souls. It hits the feels of the books/original movies better than anything else they’ve done