What do we think about Ty Helton?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tar Volon, Dec 7, 2017.

1. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I believe this is accurate.

2. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Promising

3. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Co OC imo. Friend in charge of the the run game

4. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

So he was calling plays at USC and not Martin?

5. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

For coaching one of the best QBs in the country? They actually underperformed.

6. docholiday

docholiday Contributor

Don't argue with the vultures here. Love fest for Helton. Underperforming is an understatement.

7. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

The offensive side better get some serious horsepower.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That's the thing, I don't think anyone knows for sure. His brother has a hand in it, there's a running game coordinater, Ty is the passing game coordinator and then there's Tee. That USC offense looked liked dog shit at times.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yes.

10. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Is it confirmed that Helton will be the coordinator that calls plays?

11. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

No

12. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

It is being reported that he’ll be the OC though. And the head coach isn’t an offensive guy

13. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

Gets the right staff
    Could work out

Ugh

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

most people feel like he got the job out of nepotism rather than coaching talent.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Petros Papadakas (usc former captain and radio host) says helton called the plays and it was taken away from tee. my brother in law, usc alum who's friends with the kid of one of USCs boosters, says the same. that being said, personally i think USCs offense has under performed. The pac-12s defenses are even worse than normal this year, they have a potential #1 overall qb, two rbs that will likely be good nfl players, plenty of oline talent, and wr talent. and darnold arguably has gotten worse from last year.

16. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

I wonder how this will settle out with Friend.

Friend was the guy at CSU. No Co-OC, subsidiary Game Coordinators or any other such nonsense.

They were the #10 offense averaging 501ypg in the Pac-12. Sure, the Pac-12 was weak but they weren't doing this with USC talent... this was with Colorado State talent.

CSU also dropped 391 yards on Pruitt's defense this year. A&M and LSU got around 310 against Bama's D, Miss State got 330 and Auburn got a little over 400.

So Friend racked up the 2nd most yards against Bama of all teams they played. Sure, I'll grant Bama probably gameplanned for LSU, Ole Miss, Auburn, etc more but that's still impressive.

That's 2 assistants from the #10 and #15 offenses in the country as likely Co-OCs.

17. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Colorado State is in the MWC, not Pac-12.

18. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Friend also wasn’t calling plays—Bobo was

19. Daddy Gee

Daddy Gee Chieftain

From TOS spoiler't for length

Re: Tyson Helton's Offense (from TOS)
    Tux posted this on VQ, and it's so good I have to poach it and share it here:

Let's take a look at our new offensive coordinator and the direction that the Tennessee offense will take in 2018.

A college offense that could challenge the spread's popularity
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor....read/89253980/

"This season in college football USC is employing a more straight-up sendup of the K-Gun — the Trojans call it “smash and gun” — and it isn’t the only team doing so.

Coaches are human, and like all humans they get intrigued by what’s next, the evolution of technology, of thought, or in this case their sport. And after a decade of college teams embracing the spread and spread-option, coaches are thinking about what they can do with more runners in the backfield and tight ends on the line — commonly known as a “pro set.”

One of the draws of this approach, according to Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly, is that it renders problematic a trend in recruiting specialized defensive players tailored to stopping the spread such as nickelbacks, pass-rushers and those who slide from defensive back to linebacker.

“If you start to utilize more two-tight end sets, that could be problematic for defenses,” he said.

But the pro sets seen on Saturdays will include a proven college ingredient: faster pace."

"USC offensive tackle Zach Banner likes the smash and gun because its physical and fast style taxes defenses within a scheme favored by the NFL — something Banner says resonates with recruits. His coach, Clay Helton, sees other advantages to an up-tempo pro-style combination. “Part of the pro-style system is to be able to call two plays and have your quarterback get you in the right one,” Helton said. “What I like about the no-huddle is the ability to see the defense and them not know whether you’re going fast or whether you’re just trying to get to the right play. I think you can do both.”

Tyson Helton and a New Look for USC Offense in 2016
    https://reignoftroy.com/2016/08/17/u...elton-preview/

"The offense featured elements of both a wide-open no-huddle offense, and the power-run game.

UNDER TYSON HELTON’S GUIDANCE, THE TROJANS EXPECT TO RUN A DIVERSE, UP-TEMPO SCHEME.
    The Hilltoppers’ scheme utilized not only multiple three and four receiver sets, but also two-tight-end and two-back formations, designed to spread the field and give receivers and running backs the ability to operate in space.

Under Tyson Helton’s guidance, the Trojans expect to run a diverse, up-tempo scheme providing ample opportunities for USC’s deep and talented receiving corps, led by Biletnikoff Award candidate Juju Smith-Schuster and proven veterans, like Darreus Rogers and Steven Mitchell."

After reading a USC board, this is my read of their thoughts on Helton's scheme. Helton's scheme is as pro style as anyone runs these days. Some under center. A lot from the shot gun. Does not expect his QB to run. They mix in elements of the spread just like teams like NFL offenses have done. The scheme puts an emphasis on the offensive line being physical at the point of attack and a physical run game. The QB's job is read the defense, make the right call, and distribute the ball not be the ball carrier, hence the responsibility of the offensive line to protect the QB well.

It is going to be refreshing to see our offensive line fire out low utilizing drive blocking, rather than standing up and looking like Dancing Bear on Captain Kangaroo, waltzing along the line of scrimmage playing powder puff football.

No more QBs recruited to run the football first and throw the football lastly. We will be recruiting bigger bodied QBs with strong and big arms. That doesn't necessarily that they are statues, but the QBs are not going to be expected to keep every drive alive with his legs, as it was in the ButchSpread.

I would not expect us to recruit many water bug type WRs in this scheme. I anticipate that we will put a quicker guy in the slot and bigger guys on the outside.

This offense will more resemble a NFL scheme than most every team in the SEC other than maybe Georgia. Expect top RBs, Offensive Linemen, QBs, TEs and WR to want to play in this scheme. It will prepare them for playing at the next level. That is one thing that the NFL scouts hated about the read option spread. Players were not ready for the NFL. Teams had to teach read option spread players how to block, run pass routes and teach the QBs how to read a defense. Talented players in this scheme will be given more credit by NFL scouts and coaches.

20. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I think only by one outlet.