What Guns Do You Have?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by govols182, Dec 20, 2011.

1. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

My Dad has one and the smaller frame made shooting many rounds uncomfortable. But it also is convenient to carry and has stopping power.

My wife makes fun but we have a gun in every room. I pity the fool who breaks in here.

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Unfortunately, you can't be too careful anymore.

I bought a couple of clips for my LCP that have an extention on them. It expands it from a finger and a half grip to a full 2 finger grip. Makes it much more comfortable to shoot. Give it a try. Big difference.

3. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

May do it. I carry both of my Glocks. Sometimes I like mixing it up, though.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I had a lot of my guns that were hand me downs stolen when I was 13 or else I would have a lot more.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  5. JayVols

They're not expensive. You should be able to find them at any gun shop. It helps with stability and accuracy as well. I can't affold a Glock. Would love to have one.

6. JayVols

Do you like the LCP or Keltec better?

7. JayVols

That sucks sweaty monkey balls. I hate a dang thief.

8. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Which sucks balls. But is a wonderful reminder to all to have a few copies of your gun lists with serial numbers somewhere.

9. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I was thinking about my son who is due any day now and how I would teach him the "manly arts" so to speak. Fixing a flat tire, putting line and tackle on a fishing pole, how to play poker, how to read a betting line and so on and realized he probably should know how to load and shoot a gun. But I don't particularly care for guns or have any real interest in them. But this led me to this question: Folks that own guns, why do you do it? And why do you have so many? I am not saying this as a snob. Many many members of my family have guns and I have shot them enough to know the barrel from the butt. But I've never cared enough to spend money on one or spend money to keep one safe.

Do you do it for hunting? Target practice? Do you find guns intrinsically cool? Are they art, the way someone might buy a painting? Do you do it so the government and law-enforcement can never have too much power? What about protection?

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Hunting and once you have one, you want another.

I'm terrible about seeing something on sale or a good deal so to speak and buying it, whether I need it or not.

I would also feel bad for anyone that breaks in while I'm home, but I've never bought a gun specifically for home protection

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  11. JayVols

I started with hunting and shooting skeet and trap. I enjoy shooting, but don't do it much anymore. My dad had guns. I inherited a couple from him. When I got married and had my 2 daughters, I felt that I needed to protect them. I got my CC permit. I never travel without a pistol . It's just an obligation that I feel. The gov't thing is of little concern to me really. I also own a farm with cattle. We have coyotes and various other varmits that I take out to protect my livestock and agricultural investments. It's a part of life in my neck of the woods.

Edit: I also am a history fan/teacher. I love it so much that I am a Civil War re-enactor. The audience has a hard time buying it or hard to 'feel' like you're a part of history by making a gun with your fingers and yelling 'BANG' over and over. :)

12. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I was introduced to guns by my Grandfather and Dad. It's a wonderful stress relief and also a great bonding experience. Couple that with the fact there was an episode a fewyears ago that had I not had a gun, my family and I could have been seriously hurt or in trouble. Sold me even more.

But as far as the bonding experience, it's more than just throwing lead down range when I go with my Dad. And after my Papaw passed away in 2005, one of the few things I have left of him are his guns. I'll take them out a few times a year and sling some lead down the way. Just a way to keep him close to me, and one day my son and grandson can take the same guns and do the exact same thing.

13. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Dad gave me a .45 caliber Highpoint after a an incident awhile back, it's not a Smith & Wesson but it will get the job done, also got a 30/30 Marlin.

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Shotguns:
    Mossberg 12 Ga
    Remington 870 Express 12 Ga
    Ithaca Model 37 12 Ga
    Smith & Wesson 1000M 20 Ga
    Mossberg Model 835 12 ga

Rifles:
    Savage Mark II .22 Cal
    Traditions Buckhunter .50 Cal
    Thompson Center 50. Cal Renegade
    Weatherby Vanguard .270 Cal
    Marlin Model 60W .22 Cal
    Ruger M77 Mark II 30-06
    Marlin Model 917V .17 Cal
    CVA .50 Cal
    Ruger 10/22
    Ithaca X5 lightning .22
    Browning .270
    SKS
    Mossberg 100 ATR 30-06

Pistols:
    Smith & Wesson .357
    Beretta 96 Brigadier .40 Cal
    Phoenix Arm .22 Cal
    Smith & Wesson Model 659 9MM
    Taurus PT99 9MM
    Smith & Wesson Model 915 9MM

15. alumvol08

alumvol08 Active Member

I purchased a Sig P380 last summer and it is one of the best guns, for accuracy and comfort levels, that I have ever shot (especially for a small cc). I have shot a hundred or more rounds through it at a time with no discomfort. It has a heavier frame, but it's not too heavy that it hinders carrying in the pocket. I've shot the TCP and LCP and this one is by far the most comfortable choice.

16. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

For all intents and purposes, it is the same gun. They are both an extension of your fist. They are both carry a lot, shoot a little (NYY...) but I carry the LCP more than the keltec.

The LCP feels more solid, and has slightly less useless sites. The LCP is a better gun between the two.

I want to find someone who has that new Berreta, I think, .380, and see how they like it. I think I eye'd it, and decided it was too big for pocket carry for me.

17. fl0at_

Every gun I own has a purpose. My 870 is the best duck gun I've ever owned. My 3109 makes a halfway decent goose and turkey shotgun. My .270 is a good, flat shooting rifle for deer hunting in "crowded" areas. My .308 has more knock down power and better ballistics for longer distance shooting.

My glock was my first concealed handgun, and now serves as a training and target practice pistol. My LCP is my primary concealed handgun, that is generally always on me, except when I am somewhere I am not legally allowed to carry. My PF-9 would be my primary carry weapon, if I had a good tuckable IWB for it.

So I take that back, I have two worthless guns:

Keltec P3AT - The woman's carry gun when she gets her permit
    LE 6920 - Serves absolutely no purpose. Fun as hell to target shoot, though. And, if there is ever a zombie apolocyplse, will allow me a good 300+ yards standoff.

18. fl0at_

Only thing I didn't like on the P380 was the price tag...

19. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I carry everywhere. Those signs be damned.

20. fl0at_

Sign has special meaning when you are still in school.