What happened to the wait and see approach?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by MaconVol, May 30, 2012.

1. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Oh yes, another post by Hat in which he resorts to name calling.

2. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Who [uck fay]ing cares? That doesn't mean I have to walk around in some state of blissfully idiotic denial about Dooley's incompetence.

3. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

He knows who he is going to go after. I believe that for sure.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

If I had seen a collage of work in which to hang any hope on, I would agree with you. This time last year, I thought this might work.

I want him to win. I'll be thrilled if I have to eat crow (preferably grilled as I am watching my cholesterol), but in 5 years of coaching he has not done one thing to tell me he can. None. Players can't stand him, coaches can't stand him, administration can't stand him. His best win in 5 years as a head coach is against a Vanderbilt team in OT.

I'm sat back, waited and my opinion has been formed. Short of a 10-2 regular season, it will not change. You don't suddenly become a championship caliber coach overnight. We've seen what Dooley is. It's time to move on.

5. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I've been on the "year three will tell the tale" boat ever since he got hired, and I didn't jump off it after the Kentucky loss. But the offseason is making me more and more skeptical about the chances of success. The grade issues, staff turnovers, and botched Clear incident aren't painting a pretty picture.

6. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

His needs are not concerning to me at all.

7. hatvol96

If Apple hired a janitor from the McDonald's to be their CEO, nobody would be saying they need to "wait and see" if he's going to fail. It's not my fault a portion of the fanbase is either too dumb or too cowardly to recognize incompetence.

8. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

My wait ends at the end of this year. My opinion of Coach Dooley is still a favorable one but the season has yet to begin. The process must show results this year and continue on. In other words, he can't have an 8-9 win season this year and then regress to a 6-7 win season in 2013.

9. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

And if he goes 8-4 in year 3, beating nobody of any consequence and getting his ass handed to him by Va Tech in the Peach Bowl?

I think that is a very likely scenario.

10. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I am not telling anybody to deny Dooley's incompetence. My point is that no matter what any of us say, Orange Pants has another year.

11. hatvol96

Not one damn bit.

12. Tar Volon

That's not good enough. If he only wins eight games, one of them had damn well better be Alabama. And even then I won't be cheerleading to keep him.

Which is to say, the year three standard is unchanged based on the year one and year two records. If we'd gone 7-6 and 7-6/8-5 as we should've, the minimum standard would be 9-3. Just because we went 5-7 is no reason to deviate from 9-3.

13. hatvol96

If that scenario results in his continued employment, I'll not darken the gates of Neyland once during the 2013 season.

14. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

After his three offensive weapons enter the draft, 2013 would be another 4 or 5 win season if he's still around.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Exactly. The standards don't change because one fails to meet the previous ones.

I really wish the Clear situation or something like it would blow up and we could get him out of here before the season even starts. Barring that, his ouster would be a nice consolation prize to a 1-2 start.

16. CardinalVol

Depending on who the 9 wins are, I'm not entirely sure that will be enough to get me excited. He's really going to have to hit double digits.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Let's face it. 9 wins isn't going to come up. Maybe not even 8.

18. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I waited. I saw. I'm ready to move on.

19. Tar Volon

The biggest question in my mind is exactly when is the best point to fire a coach while doing the least possible damage to the program. Would we be better off playing a season with an interim or a season with a guy very likely to fail who we'll kick to the curb at some point in October or November? Well, that and who are we going to get for next year.

20. CardinalVol

It may.

I mean, we're due for some breaks to go our way. The schedule is manageable enough that if we catch breaks, we may win 9 in spite of ourselves, a la 2007.