What happened to the wait and see approach?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by MaconVol, May 30, 2012.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I think you and I were brothers in another life.

2. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

I'm not a huge Strong fan. My bias is based on I haven't seen anything big from him other than he can consistently go 7-5. Plus, I always resort back to Hatvols hate of him having UF looking like dogshit in the 04 Peach Bowl.

My vote still goes to Smart. As silly as it seems, I'm putting my faith in him based on a lecture he gave breaking down the cognitive process and how it relates to direction given in the film room versus the practice filed. He's the sole Saban protege in my opinion.

3. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I think it's clearly different. If Stoops was the offensive coordinator for Steve Spurrier, then it might have been comparable. But, hiring a defensive coach from Saban, who's clear expertise is in defense and most likely plays a huge part in coaching the defense as Spurrier does his offense, is taking a huge chance, imo, and it would be one that I wouldn't want to take after our string of disasters.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Exactly. At least Muschamp had some success as a DC away from Saban. Smart could very well be the real deal, but it'd be nice if he had a chance to prove his self-reliance first.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I have reservations about Strong, as well. He had some excellent defenses at UF, but he also had some pretty awful ones. Yet, he almost always had elite talent across the board. I wouldn't hate the hire, but id like to aim higher first.

Kind of funny that two of our serious candidates are named Strong and Smart.

6. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

That team he inherited at Louisville had no business winning the Big East this year. They were picked dead last for a reason. If he goes 7-5 again this year, sure, be skeptical. But if they win 10+ games, which I expect, he looks pretty good. They're still only three years removed from going 3-8 vs FBS teams, with their biggest (margin) win a 21-13 home decision over an Arkansas State team that went 3-5 in the Sun Belt.

7. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I think that is the wrong way to look at Strong. I've said before, my candidate pool would come from 1) top flight coordinators from championship programs and 2) head coaches that have demonstrated success at lower levels. Strong easily fits #1 and appears to be well on his way for #2. He would be an early phone call.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He has been pretty successful at both SC and Florida, so that definitely bolsters his resume. I wouldn't object to him, but I guess I've kind of prepared myself to be starstruck by the next hire. That's kind of what keeps me going. Ha.

9. cotton

I discount the Carroll/Gruden/Stoops possibilities. I'd be happy with somebody who had DC @ Forida '02-'09, took over a 1-6 UofL program, had them at 5-2 Big East Co-champs in year 2.

I don't really have a guy. I think UT should have a list already (perpetually) of 10 guys they'd like to talk to if the job opens up, and for at least 6 of them we should be reasonably confident that they will be interested. Strong certainly fits all of the criteria I would look for in one of those 6.

10. cotton

Did I mention that he beat Kentucky this year?

11. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Beating UK shouldn't qualify you for the UT job. Losing to them should disqualify from it though.

12. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Most of us did take that approach. We have waited two years, and we have seen that Dooley's a loser. Being forced to wait longer doesn't mean we should pretend we haven't already seen enough to feel pretty damn confident in our judgements.

13. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Given the last few years, it seems far more likely that Tennessee will try to gauge the interest of guys like Gruden and Patterson and get shot down. Then, we'll miss out on some of the better available candidates because our boosters are trying to create their own staff. Finally, we'll settle for some unknown guy with a southern accent.

When did I become so negative?

14. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

I don't think Dave Hart seems like the type of person to get pushed around by boosters. I may be completely wrong, but he doesn't come across as a pushover.

15. O+W=H.

O+W=H. New Member

I think Hart already knows exactly what he's going to do.

16. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

I have the same opinion as you OWH.

17. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

My guess is he's got Plans A, B and C ready to go at the drop of a hat.

I'd not be shocked if he told Dooley he had them ready just to prove his point.

18. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I have to think he's a little more ambitious than just handing Smart the job and basically just phasing out the offensive staff.

19. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I sure hope so.

20. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to get those options in motion post UK last year.