What is the greatest sports moment you've seen in person?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by InVolNerable, Jun 15, 2012.

1. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

There just something about seeing something in person that seeing it on TV, even if live, wouldn't do it justice. For me, it was beating Florida in 2004. It was my Freshman year, first big game sitting in the student section. Wilhoit going from an inevitable onslaught of death threats to Conan, Master of Cleat Chasing [ussy pay], in a matter of 3 minutes. I still get goosebumps watching this:

[youtube]AJ_2leQ-1Ew[/youtube]

2. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Great moment for sure. I miss them in Neyland. '01 in the swamp is the best i've witnessed in person. Following closely in second was fang mitchell's #15 seed coppin st knocking off #2 south carolina in pittsburgh in '96.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Ties NCAA record, not sets.

(This is one of the five message boards in America that would care about that.)

5. CardinalVol

First football game as a student (go to the 25:32 mark) -

[video=youtube;xakh6kR9ChM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xakh6kR9ChM[/video]

6. Lexvol

Lexvol Guest

Been to most every SEC stadium, a super bowl and some world series games. It is hard to match the excitement I felt around the 17 green at Valhalla when Furyk closed the Ryder Cup out. Gave me the "running through the T" chill bumps.

7. InVolNerable

A golf moment is your ultimate sports high? I just can't get that excited about golf. I love playing but I don't think any golf moment would be in my top 50.

My second was beating Florida in basketball in 05-06 and rushing the court. I hate the idea of rushing the field in football because it means you weren't supposed to win (Although, I doubt I could've contained myself in that '98 florida game.) However, I don't take basketball nearly as seriously as football and we were just a year removed from Buzz. Beating a #2 florida was pretty awesome.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  8. Lexvol

Lexvol Guest

Not a just golf moment...breaking it off in Europe's ass and hearing USA..USA..USA from every direction.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

10. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

11. CardinalVol

Nevermind the three blocking in the backs not called.

First and 10 from the 11.

12. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

13. InVolNerable

That was so embarrassing that someone made this:

[​IMG]

People who don't even know what football is reference the gif.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

bullshit

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

1:02 and 1:03 mark of that link, explain to me what part of the far left UT player was blocked by the Cal player. Cal's number #4 or 1, hard to see.

At 1:04ish, explain to me what part of the body the Cal player blocks the UT player at the far left of the screen. Cal's #34 is the offender here.

Those two are plain as day. Please tell me what body region you would describe those blocks as.

16. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I saw that in person too....

98 Florida, 04 Florida. Lofton going nuts on UK at Rupp, Lofton hitting that shot over Durant.

One of the more enjoyable things I saw in person was the beatdown @ Athens in 06.

On a different note, possibly the most gut-wrenching things I've seen in person:

The Gaffney "catch", the 13 guys on the field debacle @ LSU, the do-over at the Music City Bowl, the Daniel Lincoln worm-burner FG blocked by Cody, and Norm Chow calling 58 slants in a row at the Rose Bowl and Chavis not catching on.

17. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

The second half kick-off return by Dale Carter beginning a walloping of the Florida Gators was pretty damn exciting.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Damnit, I want an answer!

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Music City Miracle probably is it for me but 04 UF holds a special place in my heart because I was a freshman and it was my first big win in person

20. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Sadly, the biggest/most exciting Tennessee football win I've been to was either Vandy last year or Kentucky in 2009.

Best is probably day one of the 2010 NCAA tournament in Providence. Say Ohio U beat Georgetown and Tennessee beat San Diego State. And my first time at March Madness, which is great.

For a random regular season game that means little to nothing, there's Tennessee hoops over Florida this year, and Carolina beating Vancouver in December of 2011 was pretty great. Cam Ward made one of the best saves I've ever seen, and right in front of me. Cam Ward epic glove save on Ballard 12/15/11 - YouTube