What now

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Beechervol, Oct 20, 2018.

1. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Someone from The Pride of The Southland if push comes to shove.

2. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

What does this mean?

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Positioning. When you’re a defender preparing to take on a block, you typically take it on in a way that allows you to keep a specific arm free. You do that by attacking a specific side or “shoulder” of the blocker.

It’s often about setting an edge and forcing the ball to go a certain direction.

It’s a little detail that has a huge impact, and Pruitt wants players that pay attention to the small details.

4. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I'm assuming he means corners playing one shoulder or the other to force the play inside or outside.

5. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Defensively, you use your inside shoulder to engage a ball carriers outside shoulder to funnel plays back inside.

InVolNerable and justingroves like this.
  6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

As a defense you're either boxing or spilling on containing the ball.

If you're spilling, you have a force player that either has to make the ball carrier cut it back to the alley or make the ball carrier go deeper and wide.

attacking with the wrong shoulder as the force player almost always totally [uck fay]s you on defense because neither one of these things happen, so the offense out leverages you.

7. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

90% of our defense struggles with this concept.

8. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

While true, we’d be doing a disservice not to point out that they’re much much better than where they were the first 4 games.

Memtownvol, NYY and utvol0427 like this.
  9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Problem is, their 230 lb rb cuts back and has 5 yards before anybody touches him. Saw Bituli, Sapp and ignont try to shoot upfield aggressively, looking like we have plenty of defenders and it didnt matter.

10. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Thank you gentlemen. Very informative and gives me something to look for.

AbeFroman likes this.
  11. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

And the problem is, and you’ve heard Pruitt say it, is if one guy fails at his job the whole play fails.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

This all makes a lot of sense and I hadn't heard it before. It must make all the difference between containing runs to between zero and 3 yards, and having them bust long ones all day.

A-Smith and justingroves like this.
  13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

It’s why people refer to football as the “ultimate team sport.” A lot of times it just takes one guy not doing his job for the whole team to fail.

NorrisAlan and justingroves like this.
  14. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Bad LB play was a staple under Butch and they’re just now beginning to take to coaching and not the freestyle bs. While they could still engage blockers better, they’re being asked to do a lot when OLs are freely getting to them off the snap.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm really excited for Elijah Simmons to get on campus. He will eat double teams

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Playing so few seniors makes the value of any potential bowl practices that much more important, given that apparently there are a multitude of nuts and bolts that these guys weren't being coached on before this year.

utvol0427 likes this.
  17. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I glanced at 247 last night to see what line commits we had and saw that he's 6' 350. He's a tree stump

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It can be any defensive player.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Linebackers roam free behind him

20. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I get what you’re saying but it’s not that simple either.

Most DL is going to be playing BDSD if you’re spilling. This is to push the ball carrier to your force player.

This was why Shoop was such a train wreck. It was really conflicting styles of play going on with butch having a heavy influence and it became an inept bastardized system.

Memtownvol likes this.