What Was The Reason

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Steve C., Feb 29, 2012.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I moved here from Knoxville. I've been here for like 8 years, so it would be sort of silly to say I hate it. But I don't love it every now and again when I get reminded that it was a town essentially designed for about 100,000 people that accommodates, well, a lot more than that. I only lived in the district for about two years. (I worked in the district for about 3). I've lived the rest of the time in Virginia: both Alexandria and Arlington. I like Arlington quite a bit. I lived initially in Pentagon City, which is solid. And now I live in Courthouse, which is also solid in that it is literally like a half mile from the river, so getting into the district and back out is a piece of cake. Also, if you live in Arlington, you rarely have to cross the river. I do like to cross the river, though, as I like hanging out in DC (it's a bit grimier (I don't hang out in Georgetown...too many popped collars) and I like that).

2. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Hoboken is quite the spot.

3. Steve C.

Steve C. Banned

Beautiful weather. Beautiful beaches. Beautiful women. Lane Kiffin and Ed Orgeron.

I love L.A., as well.

4. Steve C.

Steve C. Banned

One really can't go wrong with Manhattan, London, nor Los Angeles.

5. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

For you, this may be true.

But given our ability to freely relocate to any of the three, and the readily available means to do so via the many conveniences of modern transportation - it is apparent that an exceedingly greater number of people do not share your belief, and would not.

Thus explains the robust populations eveywhere else - from Miami, Knoxville, Dallas, Portland and the like, all the way down to Punkin' Town, SC.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I was only there for three days. Thought it was dirty, cluttered, etc. Just didn't stack up well to the other major cities I have visited. Once again, solely an IMO.

7. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

That is what I expected the one time I visited Philly, a combination business/personal trip around 5 years ago for a week...

...and this is what I found. There were some obvious problems with crime and poverty, but somewhat surprisingly, I found a vibrant city with plenty of life and culture. Overall, I liked it.

8. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

For the well-rounded sports fan, it's difficult to beat Philly.

9. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Very true. One of the many reasons I like Chicago so much.

10. Steve C.

Steve C. Banned

Tenny and JT5 speak truth about Chicago and Philly. Boston/New England area in that group?

11. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Chicago is the, for lack of a better term, friendliest big city I have been to. Cool place.

12. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

No doubt about it. Billy Goat Tavern has the best, friendliest bartender of anywhere I've ever been. People are just cool in Chicago.

13. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Usually stay at the Conrad, right around the corner from there.