When you look past the W/L record, Tennessee is improving

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tar Volon, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

it's been too long since I've taken statistics, but I take your point. that said, college football seasons are inherently tiny samples, so hard proof is going to be a tough standard. But I think the numbers as they are are pretty damning.

2. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

The Vols were 2-3 this time last year too with the exception that UGA and Bama are their next two games this year.

3. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I opened this thread an thought I'd clicked the wrong emblem on tapatalk for a second.

4. MWR

MWR Contributor

And just for a reality check, the Vols were pretty bad last year.

5. Tar Volon

Which was the point of the thread. I hope the sarcasm came through sufficiently.

6. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

A.J. Johnson was more valuable than I thought.

7. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Your sample size argument is valid, and A-Smith would be the guy to talk to about actual analysis, but just saying that one number is larger (or smaller) than another is not proof that they are actually significantly different.

When your standard deviations overlap, you can roughly conclude that the two numbers are not statistically different. That's because the real value lay somewhere +/- that average. When the standard deviations overlap, the real value of the first measurement may be exactly the real value of the second measurement.

When the deviations don't overlap, there is significance, because if the real value of either measure was at either extreme, there'd still be a difference between the two numbers.

As it stands, these deviations overlap, so you cannot say that the real value of either measurement is significantly different from its counterpart.

Based just on these numbers, there has been no improvement, on average.

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

[​IMG]

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

It did, The Coach BJ defenders have just reached climate change denier status with me and I'm hyper sensitive to giving them even a tenth of a yard improvement as fuel for their idiocy.

10. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

11. Tar Volon

My only problem with the fl0at-style critique is that by the same token, you can't make an argument that the defense has regressed, which I think it clearly has. With sample sizes this small, you're always going to be short of total proof, but I think the numbers can lean you pretty hard in one direction, even if they can't prove anything. And overall, they're leaning pretty hard in the "meh, nothing much different" direction.

12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

While it won't help with sample size, breaking it up by halves may tell a more complete and palatable story.

13. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Screw scientific analysis and standard deviations. I know shit when I see it. We are shit.

14. Nucvol

Nucvol Member

blasphemy