Where Should I Eat in Your Hometown?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by volfanjo, Mar 17, 2012.

1. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

The only place I consistently hit up back in the kpt is La Carreta. I don't know that it's any better than any other mexican place, but I have an emotional attachment for sure. Lately, I've been going to Phil's Dream Pit when I'm back in town, as it's right by my parents' house. Excellent.

2. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

That's the one part of TN I have just never been. Spent some time in Clarksville but that's about it.

3. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

La Carreta is the best of the those Mexican joints imo.

4. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Clarksville has grown a ton in the past 5-10 years. It's insane.

I will second this. I would kill for their spicy chicken.

5. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

El Portrillo in Church Hill is much better.

6. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Not a big fan of Clarksville. Blackhorse, Nothin But Wings, and Johnny's around campus are a must though.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  7. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Clarksville > Dickson.

Oh snap.

8. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

U dun [uck fay]ed up now.

9. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Phill's Dream Pit has excellent ribs, won the Racks By the Tracks rib cook off in Kingsport. I voted for him.

Casa Mexicana in Bristol is considered better than La Carreta by most folks I have heard give an opinion.

10. Lexvol

Lexvol Guest

In Lex KY:
    Merrick Inn : $$$$
    Ramseys Diner: local meat and three
    Joe Balognas: pizza
    Billys BBQ: for BBQ. Not close to great, but it is the best Lex has to offer.
    Saul Good: upscale pub food + chicken and waffles

11. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

DC: Ray's Hellburger

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

If you like fried catfish, it's worth a trip to Cindy's. Stop and get a milkshake at the Dip after that and you can say you've seen all Dover has to offer other than Land Between the Lakes

13. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

No proud Southerner can hate fried catfish. Prefer trout or whiting, tho.

14. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Merrick is terrific, but I always liked the porch better than the dining room.

Joe Bolognas is a local favorite that I never understood.

15. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

In Hoptown, it's the Horseshoe for steaks and really good burgers and Knock'em Hill for barbeque.

Ferrell's is a local legend, and I guess everybody should eat there...once...drunk.

16. JayVols

Check my title. Walleye beats every fish. No contest actually.

17. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Walleye is darn good, but I would have to put it second to Lake Erie Perch. Sauger ain't bad either, and some fresh caught crappie is damn fine.

18. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I wouldn't say I hate catfish, but it is way down my list of preferred fish. Beats carp, sucker, Gar and buffalo.

19. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

If you find yourself in...

Anniston, AL
    Mata's Greek Pizza - Great pizza. The Mata's Favorite is easily the best vegetarian pizza I have ever tasted. Great Greek salad. Good all around.
    The Classic on Noble - Everything is great. It's not the cheapest place in town but it's worth every penny.
    Damn Yankees - Good beer selection, good menu, and well prepared food
    Betty's Barbecue - Great home cooking

Decatur, AL
    Bob Gibson's Barbecue (Either location) - Get a potato with any meat. These are some of the biggest and best stuffed potatoes I have ever eaten. The sauces are good as well.
    Sonny's Barbecue (not the chain) - It's actually a little west of town on 72A. We used to go there for lunch when I worked in Decatur. They have the best dry ribs I have ever eaten. Gotta go in the daytime. They are open for lunch only.

Florence, AL
    [penis] Howell's Barbecue - Just a small barbecue stand on Pine St. The barbecue is good, but the slaw is the best I have ever eaten. They have two varieties, hot or mild. The hot slaw on a hot dog is just plain awesome.
    George's Steak Pit - It's actually across the river in Tuscumbia. They have great steaks. It's one of my wife's favorite restaurants when we get back up that way. I was in college when I lived there and couldn't afford it then.

Loretto, TN
    Riley's - It's a catfish place. It's good. I eat there pretty much every time I get up that way.
    The Mustang - It has a little bit bigger menu selection than Riley's and pretty much everything is good.
    The Big Orange (sadly now closed) - Small bar and grill just north of town on 43. I watched all but two games of the '98 season there as well as many more. The place closed shortly after the Fiesta Bowl. The food was decent and well priced, but the $1.50, 23-oz draft beers made the place.

I have lived other places, but none of them really provided memorable eateries.

20. JayVols

With the exception of coloration, walleye and sauger are pretty much the same fish. They even cross breed. I've caught many saugeye. I tend to lump these fish in the same category of walleye. Let me fry you up a mess of wallies. You'll sing the same tune that I am. I do like crappie just not as good as walleye. Plus crappie are much more aggrivating to clean. Wallies are a breeze and have a much greater %age of meat compared to crappie.