Where Should I Eat in Your Hometown?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by volfanjo, Mar 17, 2012.

1. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

You're on!

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Got plenty-probably 20-25lbs in the freezer. You have peanut allergies? Fish is best when peanut oil is used.

3. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I eat peanuts virtually ever day.

4. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

JC- I still vote Firehouse over Red Pig and Ridgewood
    Can't argue with Greg's Pizza
    Aunt B's (although they are under new management so I might need to try it again to ensure it still makes the list)
    Moto's. It's so hard to go anywhere outside of the Tri Cities and find worthwhile middle priced Japanese food.

Va Beach/Norfolk: Chick's Oyster Bar- Best crabcake ever
    Kogan's- What Mellow Mushroom wants to be

5. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

My opinion is perhaps not credible, because I'm not a fan of most fish. But cobia is delicious, and nothing else I've had comes close.

6. JayVols

Agree that cobia is really good just not the best. If you are ever in the TriCities area, let me know. I'll let you sample the best. We could discuss the "niggardly" situation....lol.

7. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Memphis:

Cozy Corner
    Super Chinese Sub Shop
    Dyer's [just to say you've been]
    Half-Shell
    D'bo's Wings [stick to the wings...]

Avoid:
    Belmont Grill, East End Grill, Molly's, Bayou Bar and Grill

8. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Morristown, Tn-

-The Little Dutch Restaurant (often forgotten place in town)
    -Itako Japanese Steakhouse (typical cook it in front of you Japanese steakhouse. Not as good as Kan pai in Knox. But close)
    -Caballo de Oro (nice little mexican restaurant)
    -Mexico Lindo (toss up with caballo de oro for best in town)
    -Jersey Girl Diner. (new fad downtown)
    -Pal's
    -Akita Japanese Grill. (more fast foodish than Itako. But very good)

9. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Steak - Morton's in Chicago
    Seafood - Joe's Stone Crab in Miami
    Japanese - Beni Hana - San Francisco (also in several places, but this is the best)
    BBQ - Ridgewood in Bluff City TN
    Italian - Mason's in New Orleans
    Pizza - Uno in Chicago
    Fried Chicken - Paula Dean's in Savanah

10. JayVols

Can't agree with Uno. I thought it sucked. So did Lou Malnati's. NY style pizza ftw.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I would say sauger are the best tasting freshwater fish I've ever eaten, but if they are pretty much the same as a walleye (I've never eaten one) I'll take your word on it.

I've only caught a few walleye and none were big enough to keep. I've done it sauger fishing and a few times throwing crankbaits for bass on deep humps.

Crappie fishing is something I have done pretty much since I could walk.

12. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

Tomato Head in downtown Maryville.

13. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

If any of you head to Columbia to watch the Vols this spring/fall, hit up Hudson's in Lexington. Allsome bbq.

14. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Is this traditional mustard-based bbq?

I love a little Maurice's when I'm down that way.

15. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

I'm honestly not sure as I am not well educated on the differences. It's good stuff, though. The surf-n-turf comes with bbq pork, ribs, and fried.catfish. Heavenly does not begin to describe this meal.

Maurice's is solid. I always get the Big Pig dinner when I go by there.

16. JayVols

Trolling humps during the summer using a homemade bottom walker (2-3 oz weight), a hand tied cat's paw spinner, and nightcrawler is how I catch 99% of my walleye. I've offered almost everybody else, so I'll extend an invite to you for some good eatin as well. Now that I know you frequent my area often, maybe we could arrange the feedin with broyles. I am free almost all summer. That would be a good time to try. If you are interested of course. Just let me know. You could also scout my land on the river to see if you would like to bust some geese.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Sounds like a plan

18. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Sauger is real close to walleye, tend to run a little smaller, taste is for all purposes identical. Like Jay said they crossbreed into Saugeye.

Some of the most fun I have had fishing is when I've found a school of nice sized paper mouths using ultralight gear casting little spoons or spinners. Shiners are probably more productive, but not nearly as much fun. Dressing them up with a small pork rind will usually pick up the action.

19. JayVols

RB, you see my plan to feed you and groves this summer when I'm free?

20. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Yep, I'm ready anytime, either if you are free or at least reasonable. Still need to make that trip to Ridgewood.