Which is Better/Worse? - A Fan's Dilemma

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Unimane, Jan 29, 2021.

?

Which type of fan suffering is worse?

1. The Wisconsin Blue Balls Decade of Almost

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. The Tennessee No Balls Decade of No Hope

100.0%
  1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

As many know from my numerous references over the years, I have a fan duality of growing up in two states, Wisconsin and Tennessee, with allegiances to teams in both places. The Wisconsin teams dominate, I support the Bucks, Badgers, Brewers and Packers, but I have been a stout UT fan since the late 80s. So, I got to thinking about how very different those two fandoms were in the past decade, despite both bringing a significant amount of heartache, anger and frustration. However, I couldn't figure out which made me suffer more, which situation would be more preferable. Here's what I mean.

On the Wisconsin side, here are the notable events for my teams in the 2010s:
    Brewers - 2011, lost NLCS 4-2
    2017, lost NLCS 4-3

Badgers - 2014, Final Four, lost in semis to Kentucky
    2015, Final Four, lost in championship game to Duke

Bucks - 2018, best record in NBA, lost in Eastern Finals to Toronto 4-2
    2019, best record in NBA, lost in Eastern semis to Miami 4-1

Packers (After winning Super Bowl in 2010) -
    2011, 15-1, best record in NFL, lost in divisional playoffs to New York
    2014, lost NFC Championship game to Seattle
    2016, lost NFC Championship game to Atlanta
    2019, lost NFC Championship game to San Francisco
    2020, #1 seed in NFC, lost in NFC Championship game to Tampa Bay

Notice a pattern? That is a lot of times to get excited for a good team, only to get let down just before something great happens. You would think at least one or two of those teams break through. Only the Badgers made it to the ultimate game and got screwed by the refs in a game it looked like they would win.

On the Tennessee side, well you all know the Tennessee side.

So, which suffering is worse? Is it better to have no hope, no chance to see something magical happen or to have your hopes continually dashed at the last second? I can tell you the worst moments, for me, this whole decade as a fan were the 2014 and 2020 NFC Championships, the 2015 title game for the Badgers and the 2019 Sweet 16 game for the Vols against Purdue.

It's hard to say which is worse, but I do think the Wisconsin type suffering would be a little more bearable if just one of those teams pulled it off. Tennessee's 2010's simply left me dejected. Still, figuring out which type of suffering is preferable is a tall task and wonder what the results will bring.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

This isn't even a comparison. Tennessee has had it worse by a longshot.

IP likes this.
  3. IP

IP Super Moderator

This is by far the dumbest thing you've ever put on the internet, unimane. By far.

4. Unimane

Sure, you think. But, wait until Lucy pulls the ball out 10 or so times in a row. The question is about suffering, too, which creates the greater level of suffering as a fan.

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The badgers way over perform and shouldn't be as good as they are, but have an identity and good leadership.

We've been a hot mess and shot ourselves in the [penis] for almost two decades, with all the resources to be a top 10 program year in and year out.

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Let me say this:

It is better to be a fan of a team that sucks and sucks badly all the time with no hope of winning ONLY if that is all you have ever known or it has been a LONG time (ie the Cubs prior to 2016). I always thought it was easier to be a Cubs fan than a Red Sox fan prior to 2004, as my heart was never broken, I just wallowed in badness. No Bucky [uck fay]ing Dents, no Aaron [uck fay]ing Boones, no It Get's By Buckner or any other such heartbreak. Suffering as a Cubs fan was far less acute, more of a deep suffering.

However, UT is not that far removed from being good/great, and it sucks to see us in this position. sucks sucks sucks. And would much rather be making SEC championship game, NY6 bowl games and losing than 3-7 and being a [uck fay]ing embarrassment.

7. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

All those words, when you could’ve just posted [​IMG]

NorrisAlan likes this.
  8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i think i'll take almost winning to not winning at all.

IP likes this.
  9. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Where in Wisconsin?

We might have talked about this before, but I spent a lot of time with my grandparents as a kid in the Northwoods.

10. Unimane

Southwest Wisconsin, in the corner where the state meets with Illinois and Iowa.

11. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Ah. We were up in Minocqua. Bout 1.5 hours north of Stephen’s Point.

Absolutely incredible up there. Wish we could have kept their place, but it’s just so far away.

12. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Yeah I don’t think this is any question. 100 years of Butch’s 8-4 shit would be better than what I sat through this season

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Hmm, super bowl contender or losing to Kentucky at home? Tough call. Tough. call.

14. Unimane

I think you're not understanding the question. Perhaps I haven't asked or explained it correctly. Which situation creates a higher level of suffering, so to speak? Is it more devastating to have your hopes go up, then crushed right before they are realized, or more devastating to have very little to no hope of reaching that state of possibility? It's like if you are a reasonably attractive guy with a good personality who can get the hot girl to interact with you and gives you indications she's interested, but you can never close the deal because she eventually chooses the bigger catch. It that better or worse than realizing you never had a chance in the first place?

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

I understand the question. I really, really do. One could just as easily compare recent UT basketball with recent UT football. Pretty simple for me.