Who is the best musician in the last ten years?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by WM, Oct 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. =rpvol=

=rpvol= Member

if we are just talking last ten years, i can get on board with jack white as well.

2. kev2012

kev2012 New Member

what? no MJK?

3. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Tim Reynolds

4. =rpvol=

=rpvol= Member

i could make a good argument there as well. good point kev.

5. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Going with Cee-Lo Green, from his work with Dungeon Family, Gnarls Barkley and of course his solo work, he has produced some great music the last 10 years.

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The Avett Brothers
    Old Crow Medicine Show
    Damien Rice with Lisa Hannigan
    Frightened Rabbit
    Ryan Bingham
    Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers
    Mumford and Sons

7. Refugee

Refugee New Member

As far as a mainstream musician (actually playing an instrument), Ben Folds is quite a badass.

8. TheGeneral

TheGeneral Member

Well..

You just ruined my immediate response when I saw this topic...

Guess I'll fall back on Dan Auerbach and Patrick Carney.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I will agree there. I haven't listened to his last couple of albums much. Probably ought to download them.

10. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Fellas that know music: I bought my wife a Florence and the Machine cd for Christmas because she likes one of their songs. What should I know about them? Do they suck? Would I get called out if I listened to it in my car with the windows rolled down. TIA.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

My wife loves her. She can actually sing without autotune so that's nice.

12. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

I know it probably doesn't fit in the last 10 year guidelines but Dave Grohl is still kicking ass after all these years. You know you're a talented mofo when you're the best guitarist and drummer in your band and you're the lead singer. Walk is a bad ass song on their latest album.

13. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

That's good to know. Thanks.

14. SmokeyVol.

SmokeyVol. New Member

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Yeah, but every album since The Colour and The Shape has failed to measure up in my ears.

16. GahLee

I think they have gotten better over the years.

17. GahLee

I like The Black Keys but their formula grows old to me, after two or three songs I need to hear something else, it all sounds the same.

18. GahLee

Hard not to mention Tool, you could make a very valid argument that they are the best band on the face of the Earth.

19. GahLee

Adele has an amazing voice, her songs are your typical pop/heartache material but that voice is divine.

20. TheGeneral

TheGeneral Member

You know I love Tool, but we're talking the past decade here. Lateralus was amazing in 2001 but, 10,000 Days was meh... and only sold big in Europe and other countries... Still could make an "argument" that they are one of the greatest bands ever....
    (even though it is really a toss up between ONLY Floyd & Zepplin).

This decade of music has been hard for me to listen and adjust to. Guess I'm finally showing my age. I'll always still listen and pull for the Grohl's, White's, Black Key's and Tool's of the world... but they seem few and far between these days...