Who starts in AJ's place

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by MaconVol, Nov 17, 2014.

Tags:
  1. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

2. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

I don't know how it will work but Weathered will return to the LB rotation. He has been an absolute force when given a chance this season.

3. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

This is all a guess, but I'm thinking the starting LB's will be:

WLB: Weatherd
    MLB: JRM
    SLB: Maggitt

4. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Ive heard some speculation that Maggitt will move to LB and either he or JRM will play the middle. We ve been running a lot of nickel.

5. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

We mostly run nickel.

6. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Is Vereen hurt? Saw him getting taped up on the sideline against UK. If Maggitt moves to Lb, we need Vereen to play well. Maybe Hendrix gets more work too. Weathered, Vereen and Hendrix need to log valuable snaps.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

If Maggitt stays at lb, Weatherd takes over as a pass rusher in the nickel

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's nice to have options. As good as Weatherd has been, you can't really take Maggitt or JRM off the field either

9. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

The days of Nick Reveiz and Herman Lathers, hopefully they're behind us.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Kind of surprised Vereen hasn't been more of a factor this year.

11. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

I'm very surprised but there isn't a lot of room for reps when you've got a guy like Barnett that you can't justify ever taking off the field.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Maggitt took his place in rushing downs

13. Memtownvol

Memtownvol Member

Maggitt has turned it on recently and found his mojo on rushing downs. Hate to lose him in those situations. Hopping someone else can fill the void at LB with this whole A J thing.

14. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

I think Weathered gets a chance to shine. If Vereen plays more snaps he needs to make the best of them

Need everyone to step up a notch

15. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

We could go Nickel with JRM and Weatherd at LB with McNeil as a rover of sorts.

If we go 4-3 I think it'll be JRM-Jakob-Weatherd. Jakob looked pretty good in reserve duty against Kentucky and the staff could use this as a chance to scout for next year as we'd have to replace AJ anyway.

But more specifically, this is where losing Randolph for the first half will hurt. The biggest loss from AJ will be pre-snap reads and adjustments. With Randolph out the first half, now that's almost all of our upperclassman leadership gone for that half.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  16. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Mizzou runs 4/5 WR all game. We will be in nickle almost exclusively. JRM and Maggitt/Weatherd at LB. TKJr will be fine. He's more athletic/talented than Randolph. Mosely stepping up lately really helps out the secondary as Coleman can play NB exclusively. This is what I'm thinking the starters look like on D if AJ is still suspended:

DE: Barnett
    DT: Williams
    DT: O'Brien
    DE: Vereen/Lewis

LB: JRM
    LB: Maggitt/Weatherd

CB: Sutton
    FS: TK Jr
    SS: McNeil
    NB: Coleman
    CB: Mosely

17. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

That's pretty much how I see it. I think Maggitt goes to DE on passing plays and Weatherd comes in.

Coleman is really best in run support from the NB position.

The loss of Randolph really only affects our pre-snap reads and DB adjustments but really most of that was AJ anyway. Hopefully JRM or Maggit are good leaders and know the Mizzou O and our D's adjustment packages inside and out.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Jakob, probably. Bynum will play some too.

19. Volsfan31

Volsfan31 Member

Something else to consider is if we are in Nickel most of the game, who comes in if Coleman, Moseley, or Sutton is gassed. Williams would have been 1st up.

20. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Malik Foreman has gotten some decent playing time.

Evan Berry, Rashaan Gaulden or D'Andre Payne would also potentially start getting some time in. All have played in multiple games this year so they aren't getting RS'd.