Who will be our Saban?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by tvolsfan, Dec 19, 2011.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

If Cutcliffe is even interviewed Dave Hart should be fired.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I'll grant a token interview just because, but that's it. He's actually quite happy at Duke and I don't see him leaving. Pretty much the perfect head coaching job for him.

Screw it, I'm still saying Pete Carroll. Do what it takes.

3. CardinalVol

Kirby Smart could be a possibility. Wouldn't be opposed.

The only reason Gundy isn't is because we can't win a bidding war with Pickens nor do I want to try.

4. CardinalVol

True. Good point.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I wanted Sumlin but that shop has sailed.

Charlie Strong, Golden or Jim Leavitt

6. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

I just don't see Mike Gundy being much different than Dooley long term.

I also like Strong and B. Stoops as many have mentioned. I don't know who the right guy is but I want someone that I feel like can compete, at least a lot more often with the Bama's and LSU's of the SEC. We may not have a .500 record against them but shouldn't lose to anyone 7 years in a row either.

7. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

I don't think he is but I would still make him an offer.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

People hope he's tired of Norman.

9. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Getting past the NCAA snooping around the program, new facilities, biggest recruiting budget, proximity to Atlanta, Charlotte, Virginia, etc. and a better roster of young talent (compared to the last few years) should be enough to make a lot of coaches interested in the job.

10. GoVols

GoVols Member

You missed one of the biggest advantages that Tennessee has. We are one of the biggest athletic departments in the country. We can afford to spend more then other schools on our coaches.

Its time for us to go out and spend 3, 4, or 5 million on a quality coach. Fielding a winning product, putting fans in the seats, and increasing merchandise sales would easily make up for it. Alabama saw their revenues increase from $87 million to $123 million for Saban's first football season.

I am not saying that Tennessee would see a $36 million dollar increase, but certainly the increase would be more then double the price of hiring a quality coach. Easily making it worth it.

I hope Dave Hart understands that.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

One thing Tennessee has going for it is that Hart saw first hand what Saban did money wise for Alabama

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Stop being weak and get Strong.

13. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

I'd rather have Gruden, Stoops, or Carroll over Strong.

14. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

All three are pretty unrealistic.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Mike London is the guy I'd be looking at if I were an AD. If he can repeat what he done at Virginia againt next year, he'd make a great replacement.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'd rather hire The Chin if we're just throwing out names we can't get.

17. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Why the hell would you want Leno? We could do better.

Or maybe you meant Kirk Douglas. I could roll with Kirk Douglas.

18. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

He'll never leave Pittsburgh.....

Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  19. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

I don't think we could sway Cowher out of retirement to bring in....But if money is no option, I say go for the BEST coach in the NFL right now....Mike Tomlin.....Talk about a big draw for big time athletes that want to get to "the League"

20. CardinalVol

I find it funny that two of the coaches mentioned here (london and smart) are a fairly closely connected in coaching trees to coaches here who have been failures.