Who will be our Saban?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by tvolsfan, Dec 19, 2011.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Was he not clawsons oc at richmond?

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He is. He never worked with Dave. Scott, the WR coach in 08, coached Richmond for a year after London left and got fired due to a DUI.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I want no part of Kirby Smart here.

4. CardinalVol

Oops. My bad.

Didn't he win the title his first year there though?

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

London seems to be a winner. Dooley has never been in that tree as a coach.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

London? I think so

7. CardinalVol

At least I got part of it right. I just though he got promoted from inside for some reason.

All that aside, he's a good coach.

8. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

I bet we hire an NFL guy...I mean it really would be an out there search. Unless someone like Stoops says yes you have to go NFL. Lane was the right hire here in a lot of ways. We just needed to tighten up his K.

If not hire Grantham after all the elites say no...JMO..hurts our enemy and is just as good a hire as Strong.

9. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

If you watched the louisville game tonight you might want to rethink Strong. That was one of the worst end game coaching I have probably ever seen. I have always liked Strong but that was just terrible.

10. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Time management was god awful too.

11. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Agree 100%

12. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

The last two years have been good work. Take the team that got Krag fired and take them to a bowl. Then graduate everyone, get picked dead last in your conference, and end up winning your conference. That said, if he doesn't go at least 10-2 next year, I'm jumping off the bandwagon.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He needs to find an OC. He fired his halfway through the season this year.

His teams play over their heads and the D is nasty. A competent O makes this a 10 win team

14. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I'm not calling out anyone in this particular thread nor this thread individually, just the numerous threads like these spread all over Tennessee message boards. Tennessee isn't right now, nor has it been for some time, the destination job that so many delusional Rocky Top fans think it is. Bama, even at their weakest point in the past 15 years, USC, ND (for a select few), tOSU, Florida, LSU and Texas are about the only remaining destination spots. Look how quickly Nebraska fell from the ranks of great programs once Osbourne stepped away from the sidelines. Michigan fell from grace and has been told no probably more than Tennessee has. Just because we have a proud program full of history doesn't mean we can go get anyone we want. Whoever we hire will be somewhat of a gamble no matter how big the dump truck is that Hart will supposedly unload (even though he's never really said anything about doing anything like that).

15. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

and to add to that, and I'm sure this might make Hat go the flip off, but what is so intriguing about Bob Stoops anymore? When was the last time he won something truly significant?

16. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

I don't know about Hat but I like Stoops because Oklahoma, to me, would be a similar situation to UT. They play the almighty Texas, UT plays the almighty Alabama, they have to recruit Texas and nationally, UT has to recruit Georgia and nationally. He has SEC experience, has a defensive background but has shown he'll get the right people to score on offense. I just think he would be a good fit but don't think he would leave Oklahoma for Tennessee without getting Saban type money in which I don't think would be offered. With that being said, it doesn't hurt to ask.

17. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

I'll also add that with Texas A&M joining the SEC, Texas should open up a little for SEC recruiting. I think it would be valuable to have a guy like Stoops who now has a lot of connections to recruiting in that state.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Consistently being a conference champion. That's really all you can control as a HC.

He's next door to a talented state but his home state only has a few legit talents a year.

He recruits nationally, is a defensive whiz and will hire an OC that puts up points.

19. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

we're next door to a handful of recruiting hotbeds and we've yet to have a coach that struggled to be good at recruiting. Stoops may win the Big XII consistently, but for about the five years he's continued to lose big games, whether it be Texas, Ok St, Boise St or Florida. I don't see how that will change if it becomes Bama or LSU.

20. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Every year except one, Saban has lost a big game, whether it be Auburn, or LSU, Utah, or Florida.

Every year at Florida, Meyer lost a big game, whether it was Auburn, or Bama, or Ole Miss.

Pete Carroll lost a big game almost every year, whether it was to Cal, or Texas, or Oregon, or OSU.

I'm not sure I see the difference, and I think those guys are pretty good company.