Who will be the next OC?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Oldvol75, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

This sums up the DeBord situation for me (and my reaction)

[video=youtube;1BO-0QX3xFg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BO-0QX3xFg[/video]

2. Knox9552

Knox9552 Member

Can't have it both ways. If he would have hired Sanford, Norvell, etc they would come in and change the system. Then when we win 6 games next year you'll hear the excuse of implementing a new system. At least with this hire that excuse is off the table completely.

Sunshine pumper, I know.

3. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Remember when we could just laugh at names that were so absurd being mentioned for coaching slots because you knew it was too ludicrous to ever happen?

4. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

He just got a contract extension. What's he afraid of? With some of the talent we have changing a system wouldn't torpedo the system, especially if you have someone that tailors it to the pieces he has.

5. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

C'mon, did you really buy into that nonsense from TOOS?

6. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Butch is already trying to sell the "youngest team in college football" line AGAIN for next year (which is bullshit and wasn't even true THIS year).

He could tell FoolNation the sky was hot pink and they'd believe it.

7. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Oh Jesus, another "hai guys! Don't younz remember the Clawfense?" Post. The

8. Knox9552

Knox9552 Member

So you're telling me that we wouldn't be [itch bay]ing if we won 6 games next year and Butch starts peddling the scheme change excuse? If we're destined to [itch bay] about things I'd rather find out this year that he can't get it done than in 2 or 3 years when coordinator X gets his players in place.

9. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

6 wins would be a coaching issue not a scheming issue. We have the talent to win lots of games in any scheme as long as the players are properly utilized.

10. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Do you truly believe Debord was Jones' only option?

11. dknash

dknash Chieftain

I guess there's Brian Kelly, but he might not want to make a lateral move from ND. Or then there's Bajakian, but he probably wouldn't want to follow in the footsteps of a legend.

I think everyone else Butch has ever worked with is on staff. So yes.

12. Knox9552

Knox9552 Member

For what we wanted to pay? Probably. It's clear that Butch wanted to change zero in terms of plays, terminology, etc...there's just not many guys out there that fit that mold. The higher level guys like Norvell would have scoffed at the offer if it was contingent upon him implementing nothing drastically different than what they are running now.

13. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Our offense was shit. That's exactly why we are asking for a change.

14. dknash

dknash Chieftain

It's not like we built any offensive continuity over the first two years anyways, other than never blocking anyone, airing it out at the goalline, and burning ill-advised redshirts.

I think any hypothetical offensive failings this season would be more about the OC/HC being a dumbass than about any scheme confusion.

I tend to doubt DeBord will really change much for good or for ill. I do think that his hire kind of cements a second class status for UT in the SEC (barring shakeups at the powers). Second class is a pretty big step up from Vanderbesque. It is, however, not in line with the budget nor with expectations.

15. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Did Debord run what we are now running when he was the HC at CMU?

16. Cameltoes

Cameltoes Contributor

Not really. Some one-back sets. Some hurry up. Some zone blocking. But not the fully evolved s***show we have now.

17. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

DeBord is here strictly for his recruiting abilities.

18. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I thought he was here to get us good deals on office supplies.

19. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

There are options available that would have had little or possibly no change to Jones' system and well w/in budget. A couple (for instance AZ Rod Smith and UNC Seth Littrell from RR's coaching tree) have been discussed here.

20. AbeFroman

AbeFroman Member

This feels like the absolute least surprising thing that could have happened with the people currently in charge. We'll probably win 7 or 8 next year and this hire will be lauded by the masses.