Why Not Petrino?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by kidbourbon, Oct 18, 2012.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

A brief Q&A with myself:

Q: Is Petrino a dirtball?
    A: Oh yeah.

Q: Is Petrino an excellent football coach?
    A: Without question.

Q: Are you okay having a dirtball as the HC?
    A: Depends whether he is a good coach.

Q: Is Petrino a good coach?
    A: Yes, moron, we've already been over that.

Q: So you'd be on board with Petrino as HC?
    A: That's a big ten four.

2. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

The guy is a lot more than just a dirtball, he's pure trash. What evidence is there that he is an excellent coach?

3. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Round hole in a square peg. He's gonna fit in well at Auburn.

4. kidbourbon

Are you serious?

5. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Yes. What evidence is there?

6. kidbourbon

HC record:

Louisville:
    9-4
    12-1
    9-3
    11-1

Arkansas
    5-7
    8-5
    10-3
    11-2

Any more brainbusters?

7. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

8. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

His defenses have been awful, his recruiting lackluster, his teams are undisciplined, and they consistently choke at the end of games.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  9. kidbourbon

Because he is a dirtball?

10. kidbourbon

1) He is an offensive guy. A good defensive coordinator will take care of that problem. Moreover, they were good enough to 11-2 in the SEC.
    2) But good enough to go 11-2 in the SEC. Weird.
    3) Or not
    4) As evidence by his record. Oh wait.

11. kidbourbon

Basically what just transpired here is that you asked for evidence, I provided said evidence , and you responded with unsupported conclusions (i.e. no evidence).

Step up your game, homeboy.

12. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

When Petrino was at Arkansas his teams committed more than 330 penalties. That places them in top five in the country for those four seasons. Where is all the talent on the current Arkansas roster? His teams choked in Morgantown in '05, Piscataway '06, Gainesville '08, and vs Alabama in '09. Does that suffice homeboy?

13. kidbourbon

If the goal was presenting a weak argument, then this does indeed suffice.

(1) And yet he still managed to improve the record of his team every year. Man, those penalties are serious program killers, huh?
    (2) You realize that the fact that he went 11-2 in the SEC with middle-of-the-pack talent actually cuts against your argument, yes? Completely undermines it, as a matter of fact.
    (3)
    2005 Morgantown: In Petrino's first year they lost in overtime 44-46 in a road game to a superior WVU team that lost only one game that year. Great argument.
    2006 Piscataway: First of all, where the funk is Piscataway? But you have to be referring to the Rutgers game since this was the only game they lost all year. Rutgers was ranked 15, and Louisville lost to them on the road 25-28. And, again, this was their only loss that year. Clearly evidence of a terrible coach. Again, great argument.
    2008 Gainesville: there was no game in Gainesville in 2008
    2009 Tuscaloose: Choked? They got beat soundly by the best team in the country? WTF are you talking about?

14. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

The game in Gainesville was during the 2009 season . The game against Alabama was the 2010 season. I got my years messed up.The 2005 season was Petrino's third at Louisville not his first. His team was ranked higher and held a 17-point lead with eight minutes left. They choked it away and lost in OT. The 2006 loss in Piscataway cost U of L a shot at the national title. They held an eighteen point lead before completely collapsing. I never said he was a terrible coach, just overrated. If you are going to hire a coach with all his baggage he damn well better be elite. Petrino is not and never will be an elite coach.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

If finishing 3rd in your division and about 5th in your conference is the goal, let's hire Petrino.

A "good defensive coordinator" isn't going to work for a sack of shit like Petrino.

16. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Not sure if I could root for Petrino. It would be close. A head coach is someone who will --or will not-- shape the lives of student athletes over four years. Not sure how you can ignore/discount that.

One of the reasons, Cuonzo has been given good reviews is the character/discipline he is instilling. Petrino is the anti-Cuonzo.

17. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Here's why.

Think of the girl in the plan b thread. Convert her craziness to a football coach. Multiply it times 100.
    Do you want that, and the potential fallout, leading the program?

18. RoadTrip

RoadTrip New Member

Recruiting. You just reduced the number of players that will be allowed to come to UT by their parents. Period. Let Kentucky take him when they can Joker. They are used to taking slimeballs in that state.

19. Lexvol

Lexvol Guest

FWIW I met Petrino at a golf scramble several years ago. He was actually playing with a UT booster. I think that Petrino could recruit and win big here.....but you have to have a contingency plan. When he leaves there will be a huge mess to clean up. The longer he stays the bigger the mess will get.

For the record it has nothing to do with where he likes to stick his penis.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Petrino torpedoes programs. If you're going to sell your soul for a shitbag, he had better be a national title winning shitbag. Petrino is barely a Big East winning shitbag.

His best year at Arkansas he still had to bite the pillow when he played Miles and Saban.

The state of the roster when he leaves a place is also beyond terrible. His teams pay no attention to being fundamentally sound.