Why Phil should be considered interim coach after SC game

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by lakindofguy, Oct 14, 2012.

1. lakindofguy

lakindofguy New Member

I know Fulmer didn't leave in good graces with most UT fans, but no matter how much you didn't like Fulmer you have to admit he's better than what we got. After the SC game I think the team will quit in November and may even just split the November schedule. I think if Fulmer was named interim coach after SC game, that he could win the November games just by getting the Dooley attitude out of there. The team won't play for Dooley after going 0 for October, everyone knows it. I think they would play for Fulmer enough to win out.

Then when we hire Gruden, continue to let Fulmer coach practices and the Bowl game. Then Gruden can build his staff, start weeding through this bottom level class of commitments and send some of them back to Idaho St or wherever they belong, and get recruits of his own who weren't interested under Dooley.

I think it's an interesting thought anyway.

2. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

That's crazy - you can't just plug in a guy that hasn't been part of the program in years mid season.

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

No.

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Akin to attempting to cure syphillis with herpes.

5. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

Ghonnasyphilherpaitis

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Practice time with Phil wouldn't really help us out. He barely knows how to conduct practice without Cutcliffe around.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

You want to give a guy a free tryout (that's what it is btw) who can't land the Louisville job? What if by some miracle he wins a couple of games?

8. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

My sister is better than Dooley, perhaps we should hire her.

Seriously, why are there so many Vol fans that think the only options are Fulmer or some second tier coach? The fact that there are so many in this fan base that have made excuses for Dooley all along and feel that UT isn't a premier job can only be the result of fans believing in Mike Hamilton's plea for mediocrity.

9. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I wonder who will be named the interim in all seriousness? Sal isn't worth a damn it doesn't appear so who on this staff is qualified?

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Palermo has done it before.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

at worst a top 10 job. At worst

12. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Me thinks we have our board shit stirrer.

13. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Johnny Majors says, "been there done that".

14. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

It would be an unmitigated disaster if Fulmer ever returns to UT in a football capacity, imo.
    It was his time to go, but I will always remember him for the 152 wins, 2 SEC titles, and the one national title before I will 05 and 08.

15. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I don't know that there is any coach on the team I'd trust to be the interim HC. Not sure how to go about it, but barring a miracle win in the next two weeks, it has to be publicly known that Dools is gone at the end of the season.

16. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

the shitfest that has been UT football since 05 is on Hamilton, Fulmer, Kiffin, Dooley, and a whole lot of players. Plenty of blame to go around.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think Palermo was briefly the interim coach for Wisconsin. He could probably do it.

18. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Cant we do it like Florida did with Zook and just tell him he can coach the rest of the season, but he's not coming back?

19. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

It actually wouldn't surprise me if that has already happened behind the scenes or is about to happen.

20. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

He's a weak ass version of Billy Costigan.