Wi-Fi Questions

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Indy, Apr 10, 2019.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Google it, child. It took you longer to come back here and beg for answers than it would be to figure it out on your own.

I am not trying to solve your exact problem. I'm trying to give you enough information to help you solve it on your own.

You are free to call me a clown, but it just reinforces that you are a [uck fay]ng idiot.

InVolNerable, IP and The Dooz like this.
  2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Float: Google it. Figure it out on your own.

Also Float: You called Google (the manufacturer of the device) support? And you're doing what they're telling you to do? Are you a [uck fay]ing idiot?

3. fl0at_

Correct, one method is you figuring it out on your own, by reading and learning.

The other is you not figuring it out on your own, but going to someone else and just doing whatever they tell you to do.

In the first, you can find 5, 10, hundreds of variations and people to give advise, that you can parse and condense to come up with a solution, or set of solutions for you to try. And do so quite quickly, all while not believing that you've talked to the "experts."

Did you call 5 different Google people? Of course not, you're just going to do whatever they said because I bet you consider them "experts." They're hourly employees. They probably don't even use the product, and are reading a script.

It doesn't surprise me that you don't, at a fundamental level, even when pointed out, don't see the difference, and have to have me break it down for you like the lack of critical thought moron you are.

InVolNerable likes this.
  4. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

This thread is funny.

Poppa T likes this.
  5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Called my ISP and had them switch the modem/router combo to bridge mode.

Factory reset my google WiFi devices and set them up again, just for good measure.

My speeds are now slower than before (on every floor), according to the Ookla speed test, but I’m not really sure what to make of that. Every speed test I run (google home app, fast.com, ookla, another random app, the website IP posted a few pages back) gives me a completely different number. One will say 430, while another says 210, and the google home app says 880. It’s all over the place, depending on which test I use, though each test seems to stay consistent with the number it gives.

The speed upstairs seems to be slower (under 100) than it was the other night when I first set these up. That said, I’m streaming on the TV up here and not having any of the issues I was having the other night. So not really sure what to make of it.

If the bedroom WiFi problems continue to stay away, I will probably keep the system. If the problems resurface, I’m likely sending these back.

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

It's clear your house is on an old indian burial ground and should be burned.

InVolNerable likes this.
  7. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Indy your living area is not magnetically polarized correctly. In order to fix this you need to balance the magnetic fields in each room. What you need to do is go to the hardware store or any store that carries magnets. Good chance you can find them online as well. You'll need heavy duty magnets for this work properly and you'll need 4 for every room you want to balance. Place a magnet in each corner of the room. You may need to adjust the height for each magnet, a pole works best. Just fiddle around with positioning and once each magnet is in the right spot, you'll see your internet at blazing speeds. Trust me.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Different tests use different servers in different places. Your problem was never primarily speed

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Exactly. I’m kind of at the point where I don’t really care what the tests say my speed is. If all my shit is working properly, then why worry about it?

10. fl0at_

You aren't double NATing anymore. You don't have to ignore the speed tests, but they are just a reference.

A speed test on WiFi depends on a lot of things, strength of signal to the network, interference, etc. A speed test needs to be done wired in, so, plug your laptop in through ethernet and disable wifi on the laptop, and run your speed test, that's your speed test from that device, to the place your testing. That is the speed of your ISP, that you've purchased.

Now, you want to test internal transfer speeds, and this will tell you the speed of your internal network. I do this with just a simple file transfer between a laptop and a desktop. I transfer at around 110 MB/s, which is 880 Mbps, and with Windows overhead, that's about right for a gigabit internal network. So my internal network is functioning right.

If my internal network is functioning correctly, and my external network is functioning correctly.... things are functioning correctly.

Even though, on Wifi, a speed test to my laptop to something like Ookla is 1/3rd of my hard wire speed, I know its correct. Even though my file copy from a laptop on Wifi to something else is 1/4th of the speed, I know its functioning correctly.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I was playing around with the speed tests on my hardwired Xbox last night, and even that is now slower (though still very fast).

It was originally hardwired into the modem/router (pre bridge) and was getting 775 down. At one point, the google WiFi was having issues, so I unplugged the Xbox from the modem. Once setup was complete, I plugged it back in, but this time to the google WiFi router (not the bridged modem/router, like it was before). It’s a bit slower now (like 650 down).

Again, everything seems to be slower. First floor WiFi, second floor WiFi, third floor WiFi, hardwired Xbox… the tests all say it’s all slower. But stuff is working, and the slower speeds are still really fast. So I’m not too bothered, I guess.

12. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

This is what I use

13. fl0at_

Speeds between you and some source depend on a lot of things, time of day, how much traffic they are experiencing, how much traffic other hops are experiencing. A connection between two networks isn't going to be the same, all the time, and you are plenty fast enough to do what you need to do.

You could probably stabilize everything with your own modem, and getting rid of the modem/router combo. I tend to believe that the faster speed tests are the less accurate ones, and to go with your lowest test as your true speed.

14. fl0at_

Any of the darker colored ones will work, as that coating absorbs more depolarized waves.

InVolNerable and NorrisAlan like this.
  15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Helps with tachyon particles too

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Anybody tried Verizon's 5G home internet?

Xfinity upped my bill to $105/month, so I'm probably going to switch. I can get the Verizon 5G home plus plan for $35/month, and they're telling me download speeds of 987 mbps (currently paying for 1200 from XFinity).

17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I am going to be looking into it myself. Tired of comcast just raising prices because they can.

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

My concern is that the grass isn't always greener. According to the Verizon cellular map, my home should be covered by 5G Ultra Wideband for cellular (perks of living in a city). Yet I'm sitting here with normal 5G coverage, getting 13 mbps down (while connected to cellular instead of wifi).

I don't understand how all of this stuff works, but if I'm not getting 5G UW through cellular when I should be, and my speeds are only 13 mbps, I find it hard to believe that they're going to set me up with nearly a gig of home wifi.

19. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

inb4 everyone recommends Verizon and then Indy upgrades his Xfinity internet.

The Dooz, justingroves, Indy and 3 others like this.
  20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I have the highest available speed from Xfinity. There is no upgrade option.

Check and mate.