Will 20 Wins Get Us To The Tourney?

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by gorockytop101, Feb 11, 2012.

1. homefry20

homefry20 New Member

It really depends on what the bubble looks like. Right now teams like Pitt, UConn, and a bunch of mid majors are going to be on that list. Tennessee only has two really good wins and unfortunately they are against the same team. One of them is on the road though so thats good. The Georgia loss isnt that bad. Losing to Oakland in Chicago is not bad. Losing to APSU at home is going to be a huge blemish though.

2. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

While true (Oakland was in Detroit, btw), last year's Vol team got in with 14 losses and an RPI 200+ loss (Charlotte). Then again, that road win over Pitt was pretty shiny.

3. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

20 wins most definitely gets this team in. The real questions that matter are:

1) Can this team get to 20?
    2) Could they get in with less?

I don't think this team gets to 20. 5-1 down the stretch and 2-1 in the tournament is possible, but not likely. But would, say, 4-2/2-1 or 5-1/1-1 do the job? These scenarios would put us at 19-15 (9-7) or 19-14 (10-6), respectively. I think if we get to 19 wins, we'd have a great shot at dancing. Wins over Florida (x2), UCONN, and whoever else we beat down the stretch would be better quality than most of the other bubble squads and a strong finish would provide a boost to our RPI into respectable range.

The bottom line is we need wins and there is no better time than the present. Let's get a couple of them this week.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

The fact that we handled Florida's press relatively well Saturday makes me feel a lot better about this week than I did before it.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Just talking about 20 wins as a possibility is great thing for me.

6. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

For some reason I am more worried about Arky than Bama given the light of recent events. We get through both those games and our momentum might help us through the rest of the season. This week is crucial IMO.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

What is the word on Bama's suspended players? They going to be out for our game?

8. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Initially I thought it was for atleast a week but now I am hearing different.

9. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

The schedule sets up as well as it could to for a shot at 19 or 20 wins.

I think 19 is the number.

10. homefry20

homefry20 New Member

Grant reinstated two of them but Steele wasnt one of them. Not sure who they were. Two still suspended indefinitely.

11. dknash

dknash Chieftain

I thought I saw Steele and Releford were reinstated on ESPN's bottom line, leaving JaMychal Green and Tony Mitchell still out.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Do we know what this is about yet?

13. 7thgroupvolfan

7thgroupvolfan New Member

Hand Martin the SEC coach of the year award if he can get this team into the dance, imo. [uck fay] Cal and his roster of Mcdonald's All Americans.