Will Cuonzo Get Fired If He Misses the Tourney?

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by kidbourbon, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Unless missing asses in the seats somehow and adversely affects the revenue from the upcoming SEC Network (it won't), I don't think that's as big of a deal as some believe. Imagine Tennesee begins to get 10k or so a home game...that's still well above average for SEC's average home attendance.

He's going to eke into the tourney simply because their aren't enough good teams left to lose to. And even if he does miss it, he's coming back. Zero percent chance they run him, even missing the tourney, IMO.

And even if he does get ran, I expect him to be replaced with something comparable, at absolute best.

So, save the $1.5M buyout and drive it into the ground for two more seasons, then [itch bay] about not being able to land a "good" coach because the talent is down, we've missed 4 of 5 tourneys, etc. Despite my disdain for Pearl's actions, the man put the program in a position to where it should never have to hire another coach from a directional school, again. And they're pissing that away, one agonizing season at a time.

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

he's already proven they don't have to be good teams for us to lose to them

3. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I think he gets fired, and who knows what we'll end up with after that.

4. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

This.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

He should be fired. But if we are just going to hire a clone, why bother?

6. Tenacious D

I should offer my standard post script to any post I make in regards to any situation involving UT's current regime: nothing would surprise me, no option is beyond a possibility, and no calamity is too remote so as to make it unlikely to be realized.

They could just as easily fire him after this season as to give him a lifetime contract.

7. JohnnyQuickkick

don't know that it would necessarily be a clone, I mean, Tennessee has tended to do 180s with its basketball hires (at least with guys' personalities, styles, etc)...it will just undoubtedly be another guy who's had a modicum of success at a lower level and it's a roll of the dice with about as much likelihood of hitting a 7 or 11.

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

My predictions aside, I am scouring the mid-major ranks for coaches I could live with. I'm not even getting my hopes up for a proven guy.

9. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I think this is spot on.

10. Tenacious D

One good thing about Tennessee's bball coaching searches - there's none of the tracking flight nonsense, because we're always flying in and out of airports that are so small as to not be required to list arrivals / departures with the FAA.

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Hart barely spent $100 on the football coaching search. He'll be able to pull this off for no more than $10.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

That's what I mean by clone. Another guy from a small school who has had some recent success.

13. JohnnyQuickkick

I just think the reason you make a change, even if it's another mid-major type guy, at this point you know Cuonzo isn't a 7 or 11 and maybe you get lucky and hit one.

(I mean, I'm thinking like they do for reality purposes. I wish as much as anyone they'd try to spend some cash on a proven guy)

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the problem is you have to give him an extension if you keep him this year. you could do one where the buyout drops to $750 I suppose.

15. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Why is this the assumption?

16. kidbourbon

With the point already established or the come-out roll?

Ain't nothing worse than 7'ing out.

17. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Agreed. Unknown with a chance is better than undoubtedly shitty.

18. kidbourbon

But these guys don't necessarily suck. They can end up being really good.

19. JohnnyQuickkick

Don't know that much about dice. Probably overthinking the analogy. But do you expect the current brain trust to make a splash basketball hire?

20. kidbourbon

No, I don't, but they could make a good basketball hire.

And a discussion of the rules of craps will take us on way too much of a tangent, but a roll of 7 can be both good and bad, depending on when it's rolled.