Will Heupel get it done?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by A-Smith, Nov 13, 2021.

1. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

The fact that this Georgia team is far and away the best team in the country this year just shows how down college football is as a whole this year.

2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I think it's the portal and 1-time free transfer. Any of those elites getting sold a false bill of goods aren't stuck at the Alabamas, Ohio States and Georgias of the world, they can transfer. Give me all the parity.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

In some ways, I'm even more excited about this year than the 2009 team moving forward.

Let's see how recruiting goes without sanctions hanging over us.

We do need to coordinate player NIL deals though. That will come back to bite bad if we don't.

TDVol1989 and NorrisAlan like this.
  4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Cookie deal is on our side as far as Nails go!

5. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

One thing about the culture Heupel is creating is I don't think the portal will gut us the way it might other teams or did for us this past year. I don't see a huge amount of disgruntled players.

Memtownvol and PilotFlyingJ like this.
  6. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

It all depends on the talent that he can get here via the portal and recruiting. Get the talent/depth and we could be a juggernaut.

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Heupel is one of the best offensive football minds in the game right now.

That sets a floor of 8-9 wins. The question is can he sell enough to get the talent to be elite.

I hope he can get it done because he seems like one of the few genuine and good guys in the business

Memtownvol and lylsmorr like this.
  8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Also he took an absolute shit sandwich over and hasn’t made a bunch of excuses or put down the players that he got. He’s just got the absolute most out of them possible

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

It is incredible what has been done this year.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Not one excuse, I have been waiting and they never came.

11. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

He should win some Award(s) for what he has done.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I like Hooker, but he's nowhere near as good as his stats. That's a testament to Heupel. He gets a great qb in here, he'll win rings

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Technically, Tennessee can't coordinate NIL deals. Grant Frerkring, the walk on with the mulch business, started another company to do that.

14. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

I'm gonna be honest, I thought Joe Milton looked better in his limited role yesterday.

As long as guys keep getting better and we add depth I think we will be fine. This was always going to be a JUCO and portal year because of what the staff was handed.

2023 class will be a top ten class based off of the top talent that has already visited. We need LB and DB talent in a bad way.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Heupel has done an excellent job getting guys on the same page and genuinely liking each other.

16. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

He made some better throws, but part of me wonders if part of that was because of zero pressure to perform.

Memtownvol and NorrisAlan like this.
  17. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

Hooker can still get a lot better. He takes too many unnecessary sacks. My hope for him in '22 is that he learns to throw it away when running from pressure instead of going down for a big loss or running out of bounds for no gain or a loss. Would be even better if he could keep his eyes downfield and make a play in the air when his pocket breaks down - but not holding out hope for that.

Memtownvol likes this.
  18. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Yep. And hardly throwing to wrs. That and them being in discussion of goat defense while a first year coach with transfer qb had a kid go for 10 and 200 who had 8 career catches prior to this year. Ga still hasn't played any team worth much, including us missing Evans and Payton

Memtownvol and utvol0427 like this.
  19. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Hookers head goes down as soon as his clock goes off. No way he can see anythin down field

20. juicemane

juicemane Member

At this point I’m wondering if they are just coaching him to do that. He literally never tries to get outside the pocket and find something down the field.