Will we see college football in 2020?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Aug 17, 2020.

?

Yes or no?

Poll closed Nov 25, 2020.
  1. Yes

81.8%
  2. No

18.2%
  1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The UNC stuff doesn't really bother me. There's going to be clusters of outbreaks, there's really no way around it. Deal with them and move forward.

I just see the UGA die in when I see students complaining about rona on campus. I could possibly by a cynical ass hole, though

Memtownvol likes this.
  2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

It’s about liability and optics

10SEvols likes this.
  3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

You think the SEC cares about liability and optics?

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You can tell who the PAC-12 guy is on here

IP and utvol0427 like this.
  5. IP

IP Super Moderator

I hope we give UGA another die-in protest later this Fall.

Memtownvol and OneForVol like this.
  6. IP

IP Super Moderator

You are 100% correct in 100% the wrong direction. The liability of cancelling football in the South is untenable. The optics of cancelling football in the South are untenable. While reality is gray and there is probably no right answer, it's clear as a noon kickoff in September in SEC country. For any frog hair of truth that there is a political motive to caution in the Pac 12 and Big 10, there is a Teen Wolf of reasons why football must be attempted come hell or high water in the South.

It really does just mean more. It's more universal than religion, and the region is referred to as the Bible Belt. The armor of God has two belts if you live in the SEC footprint. Or football is truth. However you want to look at it. But they playin'.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    VOLinDAWGland and justingroves like this.
  7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Anyone here want to tell droski about the time Hurricane Katrina flooded New Orleans, pushed thousands of refugees into a battered Baton Rouge, and it delayed the Tennessee-LSU game AT BATON ROUGE all of 3 days to play the first Monday night game in Tiger Stadium history? They played other games before that on the road.

Remember that time the 2008 SEC tournament in the Georgia Dome got hit by a tornado? They finished the damn game. Dumb as hell.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Me too

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The game in the Georgia Dome probably saved a lot of lives, though. If the games weren't going on, all the fans would have been outside waiting for the gates to open

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Oh, definitely couldn't send people out in the storm. But playing the game was a major LOL to me. Totally against shelter-in-place tornado/extreme weather protocols.

justingroves likes this.
  11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I remember a guy blaring Led Zeppelin's "When the levee breaks" off his apartment balcony 30 seconds after Tennessee won that 05 LSU game

Memtownvol and InVolNerable like this.
  12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Didn't the storm pop up and hit before anyone realized it or was it a pure [uck fay] it moment?

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

It hit in the middle of the game, and was felt in the building. Play stopped... and then resumed. They brought people in for the fourth game, which was then delayed to another night. It was the third game that it occurred during, which they then continued.

If I recall correctly, and it is very possible I am mistaken on something.

justingroves likes this.
  14. CardinalVol

LSU wanted to play that game on Saturday DURING THE HURRICANE until Slive mandated postponement. We were ready to forfeit.

MaconVol and IP like this.
  15. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

If Jesus returns on a Saturday night we will tell Him we will see him in the morning.

16. CardinalVol

It was on Friday night.

It happened in the middle of the first half and they did end up finishing that game and then the next day played the last quarterfinal and the semifinals. Georgia actually won both games that Saturday and then won on Sunday to get the NCAA birth. We lost on Saturday to Arkansas when the goofy 7 footer for them hit some lucky shot.

Probably cost us the 1 seed in the NCAA tournament.

justingroves likes this.
  17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Nah, he can come on by the tailgate and play some corn hole.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Less Miles figured out the difference between the Big 12 and the SEC that weekend.

Memtownvol likes this.
  19. IP

IP Super Moderator

They are about to announce Week 1 opponents. It will take a lot for those games to get cancelled at this point.

20. CardinalVol

Rumblings it's gonna be end of year rivalry games.