Women's sports in America

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by NorrisAlan, Jan 21, 2014.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

There was a post in the Vol Basketball forum about Holley Warlick, and it peaked my curiosity about something:

Why do so many men seem to have a complete and utter disdain for women's athletics?

If you listen to sports radio at all, you know the callers that call in and would rather have a surgery with not anesthetic than be forced to watch a women's sporting event. But they don't seem content to just not watch it, but go out of their way to say "This is inferior and should be shunned, mocked and disrespected in all ways."

Mostly it seems to be thrown at women's basketball, which has a modicum of popularity in the US outside of its hardcore fans.

What is so threatening or uncomfortable about women playing organized sports that seems to attract so much hate from a portion (if not majority) of the male sports fans in the US?

2. syndicate

syndicate Well-Known Member

Some of it is the perception that if you don't watch the lady vols you are a sexist piece of shit. I don't watch it because it has the athleticism of a high school basketball game in Norway.

Then the super fans saying Candace Parker could beat cp3 one-on-one make me hate the sport even more.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

As I said in the other thread the women's sports drain the athletic budget. at cal men's rugby fully funded, men's golf fully funded, men's waterpolo fully funded. yet every women's sport runs a huge deficit. hell women's basketball is like a net $5 mil a year drain on the athletic department and even the lady vols run a deficit as far as I've been told. but if I want to cut said budget draining sports I have a title IX problem. at cal there is no doubt in my mind whatsoever that the budget for the sports that count (football and men's basketball) is significantly negatively effected because of title IX.

4. NorrisAlan

Why are women's sports a drain, but men's rugby is not?

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

that is also annoying. I met a prominent women's basketball commentator and she gave me a whole bunch of garbage about how it's two different games and therefore unfair to compare the two. the women's game is an "under the basket game" and all this other garbage. I asked if the net was the same height and the court the same length. she didn't like that question.

6. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

I just dont find it very entertaining. Couple that with it being constantly shoved down our throats, I can understand the disdain some have for it.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

men's rugby has a fully funded budget because they've raised an endowment to cover operating expenses. not a single women's sport has.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

we got next!

9. NorrisAlan

Why the transference on to the sport instead of mocking the people that make such claims? I doubt Candace Parker would ever claim she could beat a top male athlete 1-on-1.

10. NorrisAlan

Have all the men's sports raised such endowments? Honestly asking, because I am not familiar with them.

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

They've tried to say it is the same and equal to men's basketball. That's the biggie.

The other is the average die-hard Lady Vol fan that thinks they are on another level and don't understand that outside of Knoxville, Storrs, and a couple of other places here and there, that no one cares about the sport.

I actually really like fast pitch softball. I also respect the hell out of Summitt. I don't hate all women's sports nor think we shouldn't let them play, but just let it be what it is and quit trying to make it what it isn't.

12. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

this is the crux of the matter

13. wildnkrazykat

wildnkrazykat Well-Known Member

Exactly card and Jqk. If u like it watch it, if you don't, don't.

14. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Also I would love to see men's soccer at UT. I'd be there all the time. Live soccer is outstanding. But Title IX.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

most of them. baseball didn't have one and almost got canceled, but raised enough to cover them for the next 10 years. be clear i'm talking about cal, not UT.

16. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Because sports are supposed to be entertaining, and women's athletics is more akin to torture than entertainment.

17. NorrisAlan

There is plenty of blame to go around for the whole "it is the same" argument, and I think it is all tripe. Women do not play the same as men, and that is OK. Don't try to convince people it is. I agree with most of what you say, Card.

But it seems there is a transference from the media hype onto the sports themselves by many men. My mother, when in high school, could not play basketball, because there were no women's sports. She loved it, but the only time she got to play was in gym, and then it was pathetic because half the girls didn't want to do it.

Because most schools are there for the students (or should be anyway), I have no problems with Title IX. Women make up 51% of the population, and to lock them out because "it isn't entertaining to me" is silly. Some people like it, some don't. I am sorry that not every men's sport that comes down the pipe can be funded, but that is life.

18. Mainly people think their opinion is going to change things. To a degree, folks should only worry about what can be reasonably changed, imo. Title IX isn't going to just go away.

Also, there's supposedly a lot of smoke and mirrors in athletic department accounting. There sure are a lot of AD's still in existence 40 years after Title IX.

19. NorrisAlan

I assumed you were talking about Cal. Thanks.

20. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

I have nothing against the sport; what makes me detest it is people like Mickey Dearstone who believe Candace Parker could beat NBA bench players in 1-on-1. The other factor is people comparing records from women's BB to men's like ESPN does it; for example saying Pat Summitt has the most wins all-time in NCAA basketball history (men's and women's). Drive me nuts!

The supporters and fans are the one's that made me hate it.