World Cup 2018

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Unimane, Jun 15, 2018.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think uni has given a good answer

2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Snoozer of a game between URU/KSA. Come on Iran/Spain

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

uruguay should be smoking these guys. Saudi Arabia is aw-ful.

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

This is why people who don't like soccer don't like it. Iran's main strategy seems to be faking as many injuries as possible to waste time in hopes of a draw. It's irritating to watch.

5. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

yes this is not entertaining or pretty. Playing prevent and for a tie

6. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

You mean they're imploring the Spain/Brazil/Argentina/Uruguay strategy of faking injuries? That never happens.

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Byproduct of tournament play. The WC is loved because of what it is more than the style of play or quality of play, imho. And the moments. And I absolutely love it.

Watch league play for far better soccer.

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I don't care who is faking the injuries. It's the fact that one team's strategy for the game is to fake injuries as a way to prevent the other team from playing the game.

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Fair enough.

To be fair, most non-soccer fans aren't going to watch much more than the WC, so this is about all that they see. I can see why they might not be huge fans.

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

What? Taking the goal away?!

11. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Can someone offer a simple explanation as to how regular league play differs from WC play, and why?

12. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Much more open, the soccer will be better because the team is more cohesive, tactics can be worked on much more effectively. You don't get a lot of time together in a national setup, which is why coaching, and the type of coaching is much more intensive than it is in club soccer.

Tenacious D likes this.
  13. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Club teams ("regular league") spend about...nine months together? Somewhere around there.

International teams are lucky to spend 2 months together over a period of one year.

14. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Like folks have already said, club teams spend so much more time together and chemistry is huge. Club teams also tend to have the best managers. Also national team player pools are what they are so you more often see guys played out of their normal positions to get them on the field

Tenacious D likes this.
  15. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Where would MLS rank in the English system? EFL1?

16. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

All MLS teams? Probably third tier. A handful of teams would be in the Championship (Second tier) or maybe even get promotion to the Premier League (first tier).

17. Ssmiff

Erickson is so smoothe

18. Ssmiff

Came across this from the Barcelona coaches' visit. They saw Nashville women and wanted to move here.
    Yes my son is cold and looks awkward.

Attached Files:

19. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Early game was a bit crap. I don't understand the continual pounding of crosses into the box. The conversion rate has to be extremely low.

20. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Peru is the unluckiest team at this World Cup. Unbelievable.

lylsmorr likes this.