Wussification of America

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Volst53, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

http://reason.com/archives/2014/02/02/when-postage-stamps-are-bad-ro

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Seems a little over the top to scrap the stamps over a kid not wearing knee pads and one jumping into a pool.

3. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Good God.

Like I reminded some friends this weekend in a conversation about seat belts. I rode in the rear window from Morristown, Tn to Destin, Fl growing up. I slept like a baby until dad hit the brakes. Then we all laughed our asses off.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I can some-what understand the knee-pad thing. But the cannonball? Really? How is that unsafe?

5. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

As someone who is rather good at cannonballs, (my best and only dive), it just shows how crazy this country has gotten.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'm trying to figure that one out. A head first dive seems way more dangerous (still not very dangerous).

7. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

I'm assuming the child hadn't waited 30 minutes after eating before doing the cannonball.

8. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I hated that bullcrap.

9. wildnkrazykat

wildnkrazykat Well-Known Member

Does taxpayer money pay to print stamps?

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Uh.... Ya.

11. RevBubbaFlavel

RevBubbaFlavel Contributor

Surprisingly some of th best work on this shit is written by feminists such as Camille Paglia and Christina Sommers.
    There was an article in the Wall Street Journal a few months ago where it was brought up that masculine virtues - such as physical energy, manual labor, hard factual education, etc. has given way to a dominance of feminie virtues such as sensitivity, calmness, cooperation, etc. It was noted how disproportinately boys were on ADHD medication and other things as a "treatment" for actions that used to be considred natural boyish activities.

I am not doing it justice, and it is a very interesting read if you cn find it.

12. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

I didn't think USPS got any taxpayer funds except some fed help to pay for pension plans or something like that.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

They get tax payer money, and then make more money. The USPS isn't nearly the garbage fire it is made out to be. It is a designed failure so conservative politicians have something to prove that "government-run doesn't work" that is apples to apples comparable to a private sector industry.

14. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Franklin had a lot of forsight

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

No, it is more recent than that. If they gave the USPS the freedom to adjust like a business, they'd be fine. But then the "government doesn't do anything right" argument would be toothless. They have to overpay their pension funds by law, which sets them up for failure.

http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-b...241325-congress-failing-the-us-postal-service

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-04-18/can-the-postal-service-be-saved

16. OrangeEmpire

So whenever government is not adequate, it is because of evil white republicans for saber rattling during tv interviews and elections?

17. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Everyone knows the GOP is a bunch of bumbling inbreds whose collective IQ would have them retreading tires in the bammer school system.

18. OrangeEmpire

The great deception is party lines. All politicians are slaves to their wallet.

To actually think these fools are intrepid enough to even attempt what IP is suggesting is laughable.

South Park got it right when they addressed the 9/11 conspiracy crowd.

Politicians are thankful you think they wield power.

19. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Are you sure they get tax dollars? I see they don't for operating expenses - what money do they receive then?

20. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I'm a firm believer in politicians being required to wear NASCAR-style jumpsuits at all debates.