X-Cast on Basilio 12/4/19

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Dec 6, 2019.

1. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

And as far as recruiting goes locally... Chaney is doing his part to create a friendly atmosphere with high school coaches in our East Tn Area. He's about the only one we see, though.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I dont listen to any sports talk anymore. Tried to watch finebaum the other day and cant believe that is on tv. Festival of idiots

3. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Excellent point, Dooz. I don't know Basilio but believe him to be an outstanding person. His show really isn't for me but I do enjoy the post game shows when they do a good job screening callers.

justingroves likes this.
  4. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

I think he generates a fair amount of the message board info.

5. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

With Pruitt's connections, I don't feel like anyone on this staff is irreplaceable.

6. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

I agree.

7. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Basilio is a good dude. His show appealed to me a lot more when I was younger, but glad he's still doing his thing.

8. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Roger is the special needs guy, and who also has a bad stuttering problem. He calls a few Knoxville sports call-in show every single day, including Basilio. I’ve never heard any host of any show be anything but patiently gracious with him, but Basilio really treats him like any other caller - including the frequent but gentle ribbing and challenging him, etc.

He’s an adult who lives with his elderly mother, IIRC, and who Basilio / his listeners have sort of adopted. This includes frequently helping him to attend Basilio’s remotes / listener watch parties by giving him a ride to and from, paying for his food and drinks, etc.

Oh, and he’s a sneaky savage.

He’s widely known for three things:

1. He loves every Tennessee coach, and can’t stand to hear anyone speak ill of any of them, ever.

2. He has a voracious appetite and can seemingly eat his own body weight.

3. He will never say a bad word about any of the hosts / shows / stations that he calls into, no matter what you say or how hard you prod him.

He’s just a sweet dude and who they treat like a human being and love on him.

Quick funny story:
    Basilio goes to pick him up on his way to the listener watch party. Basilio obliges when a Roger asks him to stop at a store for a snack and drink...on the way to an event where he will be given free food and drink. No sweat, Basilio pays. They arrive at listener watch party, Rog gets more free food and drink, again, thanks to Basilio. Rog is widely beloved and celebrated by all in attendance, again, all made possible by Basilio. Tony even allows Rog to be a halftime show co-host, and even brings him his own headset, to make him legit. Late in the second half of the game, a local news crew comes in and wants to get some general man-on-the street reactions to the game. Everyone immediately nominates Rog, including Tony.

Someone tells reporter that Rog is locally famous for his frequently calling many sports talk shows. Reporter asks him all the questions about his thoughts on the game, and then concludes the on-air interview with by asking Roger who his favorite local sports talk personality is. Roger, while literally standing feet away from Basilio and in the middle of his watch party, answers:

“Jimmy Hyams on SportsTalk” as the place absolutely erupts in cheers and laughter.

Later, Basilio re-told this story on the air (that’s the only reason I heard about it, and may have screwed it all up), but then added that he had to again stop and buy Roger a snack and a drink on his way home after the show, and that this time Rog doubled up on each, so as to save the other for later, and which Basilio again gladly paid for. As Basilio was saying goodbye at his home, and before turning to leave, he again posed the same question to Roger as to who his favorite local sports talk guy, and Roger says “Jimmy Hyams of Sports Talk” before walking inside, slowly closing his front door, locking the deadbolt and turning the porch light off...as Tony was still standing there, flabbergasted.

So, he’s a stone-cold savage, too.

Again, I may have completely hosed this up, but I think that’s the gist, having heard it second and third hand.

Ssmiff, Dalekanium, A-Smith and 9 others like this.
  9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Tony is an awesome guy, he'd give you the shirt off his back

10. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I didnt like what he did to Marlon Walls so a lot of my opinion stems from that. People change with age. Some.

11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Lol. If only you made love like you write, you would have every woman fawning all over you.

Tenacious D likes this.
  12. Tenacious D

When it’s too small for them to notice, you just say it lasted all night.

13. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

No, Tenny you got the story pretty well down. That's what happened. I listen to Basilio in spurts but he's the only sports talk host in K-Ville that I will listen to period. Basilio is a hell of a guy and does a lot for the community. I don't always agree with him but he tells it like it is and is always entertaining IMO.

He also has some very good regular callers and guests. I love when Beano is on with him as he is always fun to listen to as well. I've done radio for 20+ years (just as a hobby and part time) here in Greeneville and anyone that can put out the quantity and quality that Basilio can definitely has my respect.

14. Tenacious D

Thanks - I wasn’t sure I had it correct.

I love when Rog calls in and Tony starts in on him from the bump, and gets him a little flustered.

Did you hear the time Tony told him that Butch was at an alumni luncheon when they fired him and that they then took the sandwich off of his plate before he could eat it, as he was no longer the Tennessee coach? Rog was 99% sure it was BS, but that 1% pissed him off.

Side note, the wife is from Greeneville, so you must be good people.

15. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Tony is good people but I'd rather be waterboarded than forced to listen to his show.

VOLinDAWGland and utvol0427 like this.
  16. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Random Bill: Hello my good Christian friend...proceeds to list 70 year old women he finds attractive

17. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Is that guy a real person?

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Which coincidentally would make for a good segment on his show.