Year 1 to Year 2 Jump

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by NEW COACH, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I mean, the schedule is easier, but it's not *that* much different than this year. It's basically one-game better in the non-con, trading out a top 15 team for a dangerous but very, very beatable BYU. In conference? I dunno, you can argue that the Auburn and Kentucky fixtures get easier, but we already won those this year anyways, so even if they do get easier, it's probably not showing up on our record. Maybe Missouri is a little worse, but we get them on the road. Florida becomes a road game, and they should theoretically take a step forward.

The big thing is us getting better and trading out WVU. That's enough to make 8-4 an expectation and 9-3 a real possibility. Our SEC schedule is probably pretty comparable. But the thing is, we opened as underdogs of 3-7 points in literally half of our SEC games this year (so far 1-2 in those games). So if we're seven points better, we go from being underdogs in seven SEC games to being favorites in four or five.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Lots of words to say the schedule is easier

chavisut and IP like this.
  3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Strength and conditioning. It's gonna show up.

I know we have said it before. But Pruitt is saying it this time.

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

In season lifting is maintenance and recovery, so maybe 60% of max and rep out, so we will never really look bigger as the season goes.

5. RevBubbaFlavel

RevBubbaFlavel Contributor

I am ready for a badass defense.

If we give up more than 1 score next year - fire him.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Thought we were talking about season 1 to season 2.

7. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

They’ll lift heavier than that in-season. Less volume.

8. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I believe they rep 10-15

9. chavisut

For the movements they emphasize they probably stick to low reps, heavy weight, less volume.

Pruitt actually commented yesterday that they are training more like an off-season regimen because the team was so weak ha.

A-Smith and Ssmiff like this.
  10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Which is why I think we could see real improvement on that front with another full offseason.

A-Smith and BigOrangeBeech like this.
  11. chavisut

IMO it will look like a completely different team.

A-Smith and BigOrangeBeech like this.
  12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I just don't know why we haven't had good s and c for so long. There are many talented guys that can do it. The skills are out there.

13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

[​IMG]

BigOrangeBeech likes this.
  14. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

We blew everyone away with those mental and leadership reps though.

Shower reps under Dooley.

15. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Read on the twitter that Butch had a lot of the S&C workouts be on a voluntary basis. Guy said a former player told him this.

Unreal. I know a lot of guys are disciplined enough to go in every time. But you take super busy student athletes and give them a hall pass, I guarantee you that a big chunk of them will take it on occasion.

IP likes this.
  16. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Snap and clear boys and never apologize for a win. It's about resiliency, maintaining eyes on thighs, keeping your home game focus and remember....brick by brick.

17. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Mostly it's about the players having the coach's back.

18. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

The value of a good leader is overlooked everywhere. Businesses, football, whatever.

RockyHill likes this.
  19. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I can get a hair verbose--the difference in our team will be bigger than the difference in the schedule.

A-Smith likes this.
  20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Not sure Butch had the reputation to hire anyone worth a crap.