Yes people kill people, but do we really need easy access

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by droski, Dec 14, 2012.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Pertains more to the bureaucratic side of records, not the flag and investigate side. Settle down.

2. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Come on brother man, you honestly think there are not federal tasks force with local agencies that do nothing but monitor ?

3. OrangeEmpire

Uh huh

4. fl0at_

See above.

5. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Why do I doubt that our federal government has a firm grasp on the amount of fertilizer stored in barns, when they have so gloriously failed to do the same with either illegal immigration and the illicit drug trade.

6. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Yeah thats actually pretty funny.

7. fl0at_

Because illegal aliens, illicit drug manufactures and distributors typically don't register their product or allow their business or homes to be searched.

8. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I wonder if this is still true in Colorado and Washington now that it's legal?

9. OrangeEmpire

Illegal immigration and drugs are not important.

With drugs you are looking at public officials being major players.

10. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

It has begun...

From [penis]'s Sporting Goods:

Walmart 'virtually' removes assault rifle from its site; [penis]'s goes further - National Technology | Examiner.com

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

business decision.

12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

13. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Yes and Yes

14. possumslayer

possumslayer Roadkill Guru

Wal-Mart made guns aren't as well made as others anyway .

15. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

18. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

But you are applying rationality to a completely irrational situation. While I am saddened at the events, and am in no way excusing the shooter's actions, I must feel pity for him.

19. fl0at_

I have a Colt LE 6920 with a Knight's Armament Quad Rail that I'm trying to decide whether I should get rid of it or not. Never even been fired. Was just collecting dust in the closet. Now it is collecting dust in safe, behind a dead bolt.

20. RoadTrip

RoadTrip New Member

So - in this situation in CT - does anyone think there would be less carnage if he used the two handguns instead of the Bushmaster? Glocks and equivalent are pretty easy to load and do incredible damage to the human body. Or to OE's point of a good shotgun? IMO it would have made little to no difference.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. This battle was fought and lost years before when the shooter's mental health issues were not addressed sufficiently by the family, schools and community. I have spoken with numerous people that have attempted suicide through the years, a couple are family members. The central theme with all of them has been their feeling of hopelessness in their situation and inability to change it. They all said these thoughts are just there. They can be doing something normal with no issues, and the thoughts creep in. If they have no coping mechanisms built in bad things can happen. It is very rare for anyone in that position to go where the shooter went. But if rage takes over in a seriously instable mind, and this shooter was comfortable and had been trained by a parent to handle the guns in question; horrible things can happen and did.

My son-in-law is a SRO for Knox County Schools. He is a dedicated professional that would like police academy type training to be provided by the employer to certify officers for all schools. I think it is pretty obvious there is no excuse not to do that. Again, an ounce of prevention being worth a pound of cure. The SRO's deal with many things that would surprise the general public if publicized. Teachers could never do the role of security as completely as trained officers and be teachers as well. They need to be eyes and ears for potential issues to be investigated by the investigative unit. Yet, there are states without any legislation mandating SRO's and in TN it is only required at middle or HS level (can't remember if it's both or just HS). The CT attack was at a primary school. No SRO's there in TN or most states. Those that would commit acts such as this rarely attempt do their deed where they can be stopped. They want total control over the outcomes.

So where is our most precious treasure? In the bank? In government? In our jobs? Or in our families and children? With just a little less asphalt or bogus need to line somebody's pocket or not going to war at the drop of the hat or whatever; is the money to pay for professionals to protect the kids and in turn our future. There is the money for serious assistance for mental health needs.