You have to pull Worley

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Sep 7, 2013.

Tags:
  1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

If it's not going to ruin them then what's your point? In bUTch I trust?

2. rockytopblues

rockytopblues Member

I guess my point is that if the freshmen give you the best player on the field, it's the staff's job to prepare them and get them ready. Why start someone who obviously doesn't have the skills when you have someone younger and inexperienced that does? You can't coach arm strength. If Dobbs or Ferg give you a better option at quarterback, get them ready and put them out there.

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Exactly. It's rather comical to breeze in two or three times a year and give a complete psychoanalysis on folks.

4. JayVols

Yes.

5. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

I can still throw a 10-15 yard out.

6. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I have a feeling Worley will be the starter all year unless he gets hurt. No reasons, just a feeling.

7. limpleg

limpleg He gone. No, really.

what? I was referring to the other situations and names that were brought up. And my point, again, is I do trust Butch and think he is handling this the way it should be. He is thinking about the big picture, and not all people are cut out to see things that way.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Or the other guys aren't very good. That might be the cold reality.

9. limpleg

Not from what I have been told

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Then butch's master plan has some holes.

11. JayVols

You clearly don't have the ability to understand.

12. Vespid

Vespid Member

I cannot criticize CBJ for playing Worley if he can win 6 games with him and get to a bowl game. Redshirt the two freshmen and open up the QB battle next year. If however it becomes evident that Worley cannot win at least six then divide time between the two freshmen. If it were me I would have started the season sharing time between Dobbs and Ferg.

13. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Going forward, do you want the frosh to gain experience with this oline or who knows what next year?

14. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

This is where I am. Experience accelerates growth and speeds up learning the offense and decision making. In this case, there's no time like the present. Throw one to the wolves and see how he fights.

15. limpleg

would you throw the freshmen out there to start just to see what they are made of knowing that they aren't mentally or physically ready as a first year coach with a new staff and new team?
    We obviously don't have a qb that looks like the kid from Michigan, Oregon or a Manziel. That doesn't mean one or both can't be an AJ McCarron, who I see as a qb who does several things well, doesn't overwhelm, but wins.

16. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

The moment you go with one of the freshmen, you may be parting ways with the other. One of two things could happen.

1. Freshman A plays and succeeds...secures the job for the long haul. Freshman B sees the writing on the wall and transfers.

2. Freshman A plays and struggles. Fans get pissy, controversy brews, and there's a ton of pressure to play Freshman B instead. Freshman B takes over and Freshman A transfers.

Peterman is not an option. So once you bench Worley, you're officially pitting the freshmen against each other. One will stay and one will probably leave. The coaches may be torn on who the future is, and may not be ready to lose control of that evaluation process.

Also - I am shitfaced, so this may not be rational.

17. JayVols

When I know that something isn't the answer to my problems, I seek a new potential answer. I don't keep trying the same solution over and over.

18. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Let's see ... Jay saying this to Sparty. Just got a pretty strong 2011-2012 deja vu.

19. limpleg

fair enough. I just don't think its as simple as that. Your potential answer might be a crop that needs the fall to be ready. It may be too ripe now, but that doesn't mean it's going to suck down the line.
    Yes that was crop analogy from someone from E Memphis. What can I say. Just keep watering the bamboo.

20. limpleg

yep, and after UF game, he got no argument from me