Your All Post Fulmer Tennessee Coaching Staff

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by 615 Vol, Sep 16, 2015.

1. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Using only coaches from the Kiffin, Dooley and Jones staffs, who would you pick?

1. Lane Kiffin -HC, QB's and play caller
    2. Kippy Brown -OC
    3. Frank Wilson -WR, Recruting Coord.
    4. James Cregg -TE, ST
    5. Robert Gillespie -RB
    6. Sam Pittman -OL
    7. Ed Orgeron -DL
    8. Terry Joseph -DB
    9. Peter Sirmon -LB
    10. Justin Wilcox -DC

Not trying to pile on the "best staff in America" but I could only put Gillespie on here and that was a toss up. Not to mention, he's working with Hurd and not Neal. Hell, I managed to put 4 of Dooley's assistants on here albeit Joseph was based on the alternatives and the fact that both Nebraska and A&M have since hired him. I might have put Stripling in but no way he goes ahead of Orgeron and I left off Lance Thompson in favor of Sirmon, assuming there are plenty of good recruiters on this staff.

So, who ya got?

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think Cregg coached OL here. Not sure if we had a dedicated TE coach during Kiffin's year. I'd put him over Pittman.

I'd add Mitch Browning as my top GA, and if I could squeeze Monte Kiffin in at DB coach, I'd do that, too.

3. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

I'd have Chaney in as OC over Kippy and Cregg at OL over Pittman, but that one is close. I'd have Jay Graham as RB/ST.

Hell, if Jones just dropped his dumbass offense and just kept on the 2012 offensive staff (Chaney, Pittman, Graham) I think we'd have had a pretty good offense in 2014 and would have one of the best in the nation this year. Lets go crazy and say that Chaney/Graham being here is enough to warrant Tee Martin coming here... if his wife would ever allow him to leave the LA area.

4. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Chaney at OC, Cregg and Pittman are a tossup for OL. I'm cool with the rest of your choices for assistants, 615.

For HC. . . I might take Butch if he would get out of his assistants' ways (since we have good assistants, ex hypothesi). He does a lot of off-field stuff better than Kiffin.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Chaney was an awful OC without Kiffin calling the plays. If Kiffin is here as HC, I could stomach him, but when he had the keys to the offense he was just bad.

6. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

I can't really agree with "just bad".

That 2012 season was spoiled by a historically bad and record-setting defense.

44 points against UGA should have been more than enough and was the most points they have up all year.

31 points was the most Mississippi State gave up in a win all season (LSU/A&M/Bama scored mid-high 30s).

35 points was the 2nd most given up by South Carolina all year in 2012.

28 points against Mizzou should have won that game. That wasn't awe-inspiring but it's obvious the team was quitting on Precious.

Point being... if Chaney was given the keys to this offense and had a OL coach worth half a shit along with a good WR/RB coach... he'd be lighting it up this year. He's not a great playcaller... and I think that plagued him more in 2010 than it did 2012. He rose to being an average playcaller. Kiffin is an elite playcaller IMO. He has an inordinately good feel for the game. Chaney just gave up on the run too easily.

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I wouldn't call kiffin elite. He's a really good oc that has a simple system but he can get too pass happy at times

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Chaney is a great football mind but an average at best play caller

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Chaney was the absolute king of run abandonment and ignoring the middle of the field. He did well enough with an offense loaded with NFLers, but other than that season (which still included some pretty crappy offensive games) I'm not seeing why I should be wanting him back.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

But he and Kiffin together produced a good offense.

I don't know if you want one without the other

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I like both and Chaney is one of my favorites to hear talk football, but he's not but average at best at play calling

12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I look back post 2001 and all I see is a big black hole of suckitude. Hard for me to give a line up from it.

13. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

2004 was fun.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'll remember it fondly because it was my freshman year.

Also, that was the last time Tennessee beat UF, UGA and Alabama in the same season

15. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

My first senior year (on the traditional SEC 5 year plan). We had a pop-up camper and student tickets and went to every regular season game that year - home and away - as well as the SEC Championship game. I had tickets and a ride to the Cotton Bowl, but turned it down because of New Years/Girls/Booze I think. My grades suffered, but I wouldn't change that fall one bit.

16. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Yeah, I was trying to squeeze both O-line guys in. I'd take Cregg if I had to choose one.

17. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Ha, I wanted Kippy on my staff but Frank Wilson is too good a recruiter so I stuck Kippy at OC since Kiffin is calling the plays anyway.

I'd be too afraid Butch's ego wouldn't allow him to let his staff do their job. The hiring of UM's Staples rep and winter game organizer confirms he has to run his system.

18. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

This is kind of like sifting through that $5.00 DVD bin at Wal Mart.

19. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Holy shit! Mom and Dad Save the World!

20. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Until you realize you currently have a VCR.