Your greatest athletic achievement

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by hallowed_hill, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Ron Mexico.

Ron Mexico. New Member

After Basic Training I could consistently exceed 60 push ups a minute.

2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

NCAA Football National Champion on Xbox 360.

In all seriousness, probably carding a 34 on 9 holes of golf on one sunny summer afternoon. I was also 1 stroke away from advancing to the golf state tournament my senior year, lost on the 3rd hole of a playoff.

3. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Recieved D1 scholarship offers in baseball and in soccer by my junior year. Not bad considering I came from a very small school. That meant the world to my dad.

4. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

This was my Jr year of HS. We were getting killed (that's why I got to pitch). Rasmus laughed at me when I hit him. I don't think he even felt it.

5. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Playing for the Macon Soccer team. I started a few games at goalie. We were terrible and hardly ever won though.

6. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Rushed for 90 yards and 2 TDs on 5 carries my senior year of high school in one half of play as a fullback.

7. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Having played 18+ years of sports, I never once cleated myself.

8. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

We beat undefeated Science Hill High School in football Steve Spurrier's senior year, and I yelled real loud from my position on the bench.

9. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I was a pretty darn good defensive end in high school, making several sacks and tackles.

I won several Moto-Cross and Scrambles motorcycle races in Ohio, Indiana, Tennessee and Virginia in the late '60s and early '70s, if you consider that athletic. You should because it required stamina and endurance as well as the ability to ride fast over very rough terrain.

10. JayVols

Seriously, I made all state as an OL (center). However, I don't consider that my greatest achievement. Coaching young men and young women and seeing them grow in the sport and as people is by far more rewarding than any individual accolades. There's nothing like seeing a group of young people rising to the challenge when they are given a 0% chance of winning and achieving the victory. Seeing the reactions on these kids' faces when they upset 'Goliath' is so much greater than anything that I may have done.

11. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Impressive

12. JayVols

Be careful. You will be receiving a PM from NY asking for your phone number along with a full frontal nude photo......

Seriously, that is impressive NY. I think that I may have coached against you when you played.

13. golfballs03

golfballs03 New Member

Lowest to par - 67 on a par 73
    66 is my lowest actual score on a par 70.

Ive won some golf tournaments but my most proud sporting accomplishment was prob qualifying and playing in a Japanese PGA Tour event when I was in high school.

14. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I dicked around too much in high school and wasted much of my ability in track. Later, I took it a little more seriously, for a short period, and ended up with a mile best time of 4:22 and won a few 5Ks (best time 16:49).

Oh, once, in a rec league, I had 5 dunks in one game. Not exactly Madison Square Garden, but it was pretty competitive. That was a long time ago, though.

15. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Tied in tackles, led team in sacks as a LB my senior year. Gary Rankin came up to me after a game and said I was a hell of a player, which I though was cool at the time. Probably my best individual game, but we got our asses chapped. I was just an average player on an average team.

Oh, I also took David Holbert head on on a toss sweep as a 155 lb sophomore and survived. Dude was huge. I told him to sign with UT when we were shaking hands.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  16. golfballs03

golfballs03 New Member

Secondary violation?

17. chavisut

herp derp

18. chavisut

I was also chosen Most Dedicated by my coaches which is equivalent to them saying "you weren't any good but damnit you tried."

19. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Awesome. Funny how those little comments will stick with you. I remember singing the national anthem before the Science Hill basketball game. One of the officials turned around to me and said, "Young man, I've heard that sung a lot of times, but not many have been as good as what you just did." Meant the world to me. Only time I've ever sung it.

Great stories guys. I'm enjoying reading about your past athletic prowess.

20. golfballs03

golfballs03 New Member

Thats what getting hit by David holbert gets you