Your greatest athletic achievement

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by hallowed_hill, Mar 13, 2012.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

In retrospect, I wish I had focused on baseball and not played football. I wouldn't have been great, but I think I would have been better than how I fared in football, and with probably a lot less nagging aches and pains.

2. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

I remember you now from UT. We knew each other through a mutual friend or something, but i really can't remember who.

3. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

I think there are not as many good teams but this year for instance Stone and Alcoa are as good as any team outside of Science Hill in east Tenn. The biggest gap is between A and AA. In our region when I was playing we had Halston Lane sign with Ga Tech, Lee with Florida and Bearden had guys sign with Tenn Tech, Va Tech, South Alabama and Holy Cross. I am sure I'm forgetting some guys.

4. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

Cool. I could be an a-hole sometimes when I was playing so sorry if I ever pissed you off!

5. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I'd say so. Also, congrats on opening day shutout by the way.

6. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Almost forgot.....I hit a grand slam in the 2010 intramural softball church league championship to win the trophy.
    Being serious

7. hallowed_hill

Nope. We were cool.

8. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Quasi-competitively. I don't play in USTA leagues or tournaments because it's more of a pain in the ass than is necessary. At least in my opinion. In DC, there are a lot of lower maintenance options that are still highly competitive. For example, I play in a semi-formal round robin league, and I'm now in a "ladder", and I've played in city tournaments.

Some guys from my hometown made it to nationals with their 4.5 USTA league, and they may have even won. Of course, they immediately got bumped up to 5.0, which is basically the equivalent of preventing them from over playing in a USTA league again because nobody classifies themselves as a 5.0 voluntarily. They can of course still play in aged-bracketed tournaments, like your friend does.

9. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I played a pretty consistent 4.0 through college. Played a little 4.5, but the consistency of ground strokes at that level did me in.

10. kidbourbon

After our PM exchange, I figured there was a possibility that the frat-boxing disclosure might possibly spring an anonymity leak.

11. kidbourbon

You get a wide variety of skill levels at both 4.0 and 4.5. With 4.5, you do get the occassional guy that is just really really good at tennis -- like maybe 10 years removed from playing D-1 -- and is just clinging to that 4.5 rating because it's the only means for him to still play competitively. I can't blame guys that do that.

It is funny when you occassionally see a really really good player give a couple games away to make a match appear competitive. Again, I can't blame guys for doing that. 5.0 is a ghost town. It may as well not exist.

12. CardinalVol

We tried to convince a guy to enter just on the chance he would fight you for the comedy. We raised entry fees and close to $500 to get him to do it but he wouldn't.

13. kidbourbon

Ever met a guy named Kirk Satterfield?

14. kidbourbon

He wouldn't enter for 500 bucks?

15. CardinalVol

Said he would do it for $1,000.

16. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

- Three at the buzzer in OT to win a playoff basketball game
    - Game winning line drive that drove in 2 runs in the bottom of the last inning to win the fall league championship game.
    - Three-peat county spelling bee champion, 3rd 4th and 5th grades. They televise that shit on ESPN, so I'm counting it as a sporting accomplishment.

17. hallowed_hill

My 2nd place showing in the 1995 Colonial Heights Middle School bee didn't make my list, but we'll gladly accept your decorated spelling career ITT.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  18. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

5th grade champion. Missed the word fatal in the countywide due to a stuttering issue. Still not sure why they wouldn't let me retry. Who in their right mind puts 8 A's in the damn word fatal?

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I also elbowed Austin Rogers in the [penis] when we played Lipscomb. He had been blowing past everyone so when I turned to break out of the back pedal I planted an elbow in his crotch.

20. hallowed_hill

I lol'd.