Zuckerburg Senate Testimony

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I think Zuckerburg accounted well for himself, for the most part.

On the whole, I think the Dems have legit concerns about Facebook's use of data and people's right to privacy. [penis] Durbin's (D-IL) questioning Zuck to name the hotel he was staying at, or to list people he'd recently messaged might have been the biggest highlight of Zuck's 5-hour testimony. Both Markey's (D-MA) pointed questioning and disagreement with Zuck's unwilliness to agree to a Privacy Bill of Rights for minors age 16 and below was powerful.

I think that while many of the GOP share many of the same concerns, its secondary to their sentiment that Facebook is politically biased toward the left, even at the intentional stifling and censorship of conservative opinions on their platform, and they see this inquiry as an opportunity to not only grill Facebook about this, but will use it to urge regulation to prevent it.

Ted Cruz asked partisan but fair questions and which not only made Zuck squirm a bit, but put his personal testimony at odds with many of Facebook's actions and policies. It was a telling exchange.

Graham's questioning on the need for regulation was quite good, and Zuck stepped in it, seeming to concede to a few points which his legal counsel / team might have not only advised against, but would like forcefully oppose, if Congress attempts to implement them.

The question of online privacy, and the accumulation, use and sale of that data, is going to be fast-tracked now, IMO, and I'm not at all sure how that will mesh and balance between the dual ideals of a free market, private enterprise and free speech.

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Ted Cruz's questions:

3. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Zuck basically lived every young person’s nightmare.

Trying go explain how tech things work to our country’s old people.

JudgmentVol and hohenfelsvol like this.
  4. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

If Facebook has a lean, it’s because it was started as a platform between university students, first at universities with a left lean (though many would say all universities a have a left lean.)

Then, in order to grow, it added features that attracted those individuals from those left leaning institutions, in the way any great business would do.

Ted Cruz and his type people absolutely seek government interference in private business, because he knows he is a dying breed, and the only way to slow the death is to limit communication.

5. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Online privacy has a just a great a likelihood of being killed by government intervention to save it than it does being left alone in my ignorant opinion. Anyone who thought the facebook wasn't dealing in your personal information from the first few moments of looking at the site needs to buy some ocean view property I have in the hills of east alabama.

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The government needs to stay the hell out of it.

Regulations isn’t going to do anything but stifle competition and give the appearance of doing something

Joseph Brant likes this.
  7. fl0at_

The entire internet is built around selling user data.

Some of it sanitized. Some not.

warhammer and justingroves like this.
  8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Facebook censors conservative views? Myth busted, my stream is bombarded with it. Don't confuse removing fake stories with conservatism. Though there is a lot of overlap

gcbvol and NorrisAlan like this.
  9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Did he get asked about MySpace or Geocities?

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

It was the trending news stories that were supposedly culled, per an accusation from a former employee.

11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Prodigy.

12. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

13. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

As always, Sasse was excellent.

14. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I started my career in Prodigy tech support. No joke.

15. CardinalVol

If all elected officials, regardless of party or ideology, approached their job as he did, DC would be a much different and better place.

Volst53, justingroves and bostonvol like this.
  16. CardinalVol

That's fantastic.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

So one guy of 20 doing that task, a few years ago, who was removed for it. And thr company revamped their whole process after. Super biased.

18. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

He seems to be getting hammered; conservatives angry over a perceived bias and democrats who want more regulation.

19. fl0at_

Senate hearings are meant to be hammerings, though.

20. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I am enjoying it. Never have liked Zuck.