The Stock Market Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by golfballs03, Oct 28, 2011.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

So 1 in 5 eTrade, TD Ameritrade, .. Robinhood. 1 in 5 of those users own preferred stock?

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

No I think people who don’t normally day trade all the time are buying it.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Far more either directly or through bond mutual funds.

4. fl0at_

Very few know exactly what is in mutual funds. The only way I'd buy 1 in 5 is including mutual funds, and, if they don't know what is in them, they don't know what they are buying, and it is thus still uncommon.

5. fl0at_

When I said "day traders and the likes" the hell did you think "and the likes" meant?

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Something commonly held by mutual funds is uncommon? It is a $1 trillion market

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I assume people who are like day traders. Your average guy buying vanguard funds isn’t like a day trader

8. fl0at_

If I have a bag, and it's full of things. And you buy the bag. And you never look in the bag. What's in the bag, droski?

Logically, you can't answer that. If I sell a million bags. What's in the bag, droski? If I sell $10 trillion wroth of the bags. What's in the bag, droski?

You don't know. And if you don't know, it is uncommon, to you. Even if I know. It's uncommon to you, the purchaser.

9. fl0at_

I said, in the prior sentence, "self trading." Day traders, and folks who "don't day trade all the time" are still self trading. Why would you assume anything, when the words were right there, like, 7 before?

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

So high yield bonds or corporate bonds in general are uncommon because people tend to own them through mutual funds?

11. fl0at_

Let's find out. What proportion of high yield bonds, or corporate bonds in general, are owned, through mutual funds?

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Probably 70-80 percent for the retail percentage? I’d bet preferreds are more likely to be owned by themselves by retail than individual corporate bonds and far more likely than high yield

13. fl0at_

Doesn't seem very common, then, if it is owned predominately by mutual funds, and most people don't know what is in their mutual funds.

Look at like this, is the $2 bill common? No. You're not likely to be given change in $2 bills. It can happen. But it isn't common. But, look, right here on my desk, no shit, is a $2 bill. It's still not common. But there are a shitload of them. Still not common.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

ok well I don’t think most people would agree with you that corporate bonds aren’t common but at least you are consistent I guess.

15. fl0at_

Is this one of those things where most doesn't mean most, or does it mean most? Because I'd wager 51% of people don't know what the [uck fay] a corporate bond is, much less, how proportionate it is in the investment world. Or even if they own any.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

common in the financial world. I’d venture over 51 percent of people with investment accounts know what corporate bonds are. Is this another thing you are ignorant about and therefore no one else understands too?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Oh hey guys, this is still going on?

18. fl0at_

No, I just want to know who you consider "people" when you say "most people."

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

people in the financial world. You are welcome

20. fl0at_

Yea, our investment expert is still trying to furiously find out what a pattern day trader is, while pontificating on other things.