The Indy Talks To Himself (NBA) Thread.

Discussion in 'Sports' started by GahLee, Oct 27, 2012.

1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I think I saw a stat somewhere that said LeBron is leading the league in minutes in the month of February. In year 18.

I assume everyone will now line up to give him respect for not just playing every game this season but also playing substantial minutes when a ton of stars are on restrictions. That was one of the complaints about Bron, right? That he takes too many games/plays off?

3. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

He's 4th in MP/G for the month of February at 37.3, 14th in overall minutes. 22nd in MP/G for the season at 34.8 but 3rd in overall minutes.

Minutes played is zero indication of taking plays off, fwiw. James Harden leads the league in MP/G, and he probably leads the league in plays taken off too.

Jordan played 37 MP/G and 82 games in his last season when he was 39. That would rank 2nd this season, behind Harden's 37.8.

4. JohnnyQuickkick

I think Indy is probably starting to make Lebron uncomfortable at this point

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The stat I saw was probably before his game last night where he only played 28 minutes. I'm sure that drove his number down.

There was significant discussion about games and minutes played a number of pages back. I remember going back and looking at various players' games played in individual seasons as part of the discussion. You, here, have even mentioned 82 games for Jordan in his last season.

LeBron hasn't missed a game this year, after the shortest offseason in NBA history (I've also heard sports history but have no idea if it's accurate), while literally every other star is taking games off, on minutes restrictions, etc. You failing to acknowledge the uniqueness of what he's doing, despite it being his 18th season, isn't surprising, though.

What was the result of those 37 mpg and 82 games at age 39 for Jordan? If I remember correctly, they didn't even make the playoffs. LeBron currently has his team firmly in the playoffs and is essentially 1a or 1b with Embiid for the MVP. And all that is happening despite the fact that LeBron has already played far more minutes (like, almost 3 seasons worth, if I'm reading correctly) in his career than Jordan played in his.

6. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

nobody has ever argued that Lebron wasn't a freak athlete with freak genes. 6'9 260 with the speed of a WR and no big injuries to the legs to cost him time. Also, it appears Anthony Davis is a pretty important piece as the Lakers are worse without him. Would a 5 who can hit the 3 and handle the ball helped Jordan more than the centers Jordan had? Yes. Did Jordan's teams lose games when his center was out? No.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Are you saying Jordan never lost a game when his center was out? That'd be wild, should've just not played with centers I guess.

8. Ssmiff

i don't believe Jordan had a center go down, then lost the next 4. Actually I'm not sure Jordan's Bulls ever lost 3 in a row, ever.

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

1. I posted about LeBron's minutes and games, specifically, without mentioning Jordan, so when people come back to this thread 2 pages from now whining about how Indy started another LeBron/MJ debate, I'm going to point back to this post as the true catalyst. You're the one bringing up bull shit about a 5 who can "hit the 3 and handle the ball," as if Jordan didn't have the second best player (Pippen) that either MJ or LeBron played with, and had him for the entirety of each of their primes.

2. Anthony Davis is a 4 with the ability to play the 5 who does not like playing the 5. He's not a 5.

3. Your narrative about Bron losing without his Center is bull shit. Dennis Schroder has missed each of their last 4 games, along with Davis. Please point me to the team that loses its starting PG and PF, who are the 2nd and 3rd leading scorers on the team and combine for an average 27 ppg (and that's with Davis having an off year), and doesn't experience a dip in performance as a whole. That team doesn't exist. Hell, they started Talen Horton-[uck fay]ing-Tucker last night, for [uck fay]'s sake.

Additionally, LeBron-led teams almost always experience a lull during this part of the season, right before the all-star break.

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

What about starting 4 and starting PG? Or, you could look at it as 2nd and 3rd leading scorer.

I'd throw in "year 18," but, well, Jordan doesn't have one of those.

11. Ssmiff

Jordan didn't lose 3 in a row for a decade, no matter who was in or out. Quite a feat. And of course a player can play more years when taking off so many plays. Imagine how much more mileage he would have had he given more effort on defense to make the all D team more than once every 3+ years

12. JohnnyQuickkick

Jordan’s centers were 83-year-old Bill Cartwright, Luc Longley, Bill Wennington, and Will Perdue. I say this to say that’s probably not a good point of comparison with Lebron

13. InVolNerable

Lol, I like Lebron, you retarded dipshit. If I didn’t respect what he’s capable of/what he’s doing I doubt I’d have laid the $500 on him to win MVP when his odds were ~+1200 at the beginning of the season. I just laid out some facts in the initial response.

But also - Jordan’s best teammate was Jerry Stackhouse. His second best was [uck fay]ing Kwame Brown. Lebron has 7x All-Star/4x All-NBA AD, 2x All-NBA Marc Gasol, and reigning 6th man of the year Montrezl, as well as some other legitimate young talent. He’s done well to keep them going when some of his supporting cast goes down, but their teams are not comparable.

14. JohnnyQuickkick

I don’t think anyone in here hates Lebron. The audacity to think a guy might only be the second greatest player of all time

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Jerry stackhouse led the team in scoring one year with Jordan. does that mean he is underrated, or Jordan is overrated, or this whole debate has always been inherently dumb because the environment in which jordan and james played is just different. must be one of them, guessing the last one.

16. Ssmiff

Exactly. Yet they lose 4 in a row when they have to play without a top big man, as Jordan dealt with his entire career

17. InVolNerable

If Stackhouse is involved, then it probably has something to do with racism.

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Helloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Ssmiff. Hi. How are you? Good? Good. Do I have your attention now?

Dennis Schroder has missed their last 4 games as well. Dennis is their starting PG and 3rd leading scorer. In other words, not having him is a pretty big deal as well.

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Pretty sure Card hates LeBron, or at least significantly dislikes him. I know he doesn't have him number two on his all time list. There have been others, over the years, as well.

20. Ssmiff

Haven't seen Card. Hope he didn't take off as well