2020-21 Basketball Season

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Unimane, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I don't know if this translates the same for each coach, but I find it kind of interesting.

2. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

It looks good next to all the Final Four banners we put up before Barnes got here.

3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

True pg Bone was also on those teams, as were 2 other players who have played pro. I'm not shocked his record is worse without 4 nba players vs without

4. Unimane

Is that our ceiling? I mean, I like beating Kentucky, but that seems to be a 90s fantasy of only worrying about salvaging a season by beating Kentucky. It's a March sport. That's where the money is made.

5. Unimane

I mean, only 1 of those dudes is an NBA player now, but, still, it's not necessary to have a bunch of NBA players to have a better than near .500 record. Well, maybe for Barnes. This is a really poorly constructed roster and he's responsible for it.

6. Ssmiff

Yes he is but the Grant Williams tweet is intentional partial info by a pissed tweeter. That team had a 6'11 post and a pg drafted, not just Grant

IP likes this.
  7. IP

IP Super Moderator

This is a very good point.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Barnes has always sucked in March

9. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Barnes has also won about eleventy billion basketball games over 35 years. Not above criticism but that dude can cram the Butch comparison in his rectum

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Barnes is a really good basketball coach. If you don't think so you are crazy.

I have not a clue why Pearl has his number. He's had it since that first trip to Austin in 2005.

This team looks really good on paper but has not gelled at all. I don't know if it's personalities, thinking about professional ball, COVID, or some combo thereof.

If you are expecting anything more than what you are getting at this point, it's not the team's fault, it's yours.

11. Ssmiff

Pearls guys pull up from 25 with nobody underneath and no passes and they seem to go in at big times. That's the main difference I see. We will never dribble down and launch, or guys will get benched if they do.
    Our lack of size has hurt us too. If you are small, you better be able to handle the ball, penetrate and shoot, which we don't do well for a small team

12. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

This.

13. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

Wut? Expecting a potentially good team to beat bad teams with their best players absent is.. the fault of the people with expectations?

14. CardinalVol

At this point if you don't know that this team is capable of beating good teams and losing to awful teams, then it's on you. Expectations, whatever, this just isn't a good basketball team.

15. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

So it’s not the team’s fault that they’re significantly worse in March than they were in January?

16. CardinalVol

Yup. But if you are expecting anything more than they are, it's on you at this point. They are just not good. They should be, but they aren't.

I do not expect to win another basketball game this year unless we get a game 3 with Vandy next week. Maybe 1 in the SECT if they get a good draw on Thursday, but I'd not be shocked to lose their either.

17. Ssmiff

I dont agree about looking good on paper. If we had a pg and post, yes, but best offensive players being 6'4 true freshmen sgs doesn't bode well for great success. We really have no pg, no pf and no center. SV, the 2 freshmen, jjj and pons are all 2s and 3s.

18. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

You're spiraling with your logic.

KyleAlexanderfan likes this.
  19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Comparing Barnes to Butch Jones is the equivalent of discussing city council members and invoking Hitler comparisons.

20. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Barnes looks lost. Also, seeing guys seemingly “talking back” to him is something I’ve not ever seen from a Barnes coached team.

This team doesn’t have a leader on the floor or on the bench. And it’s glaring.