Will Cuonzo Get Fired If He Misses the Tourney?

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by kidbourbon, Jan 27, 2014.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I think he definitely definitely should get fired, but I have no idea if he will. Would like to hear thoughts.

2. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

Hart didn't extend him this spring, so if he doesn't make the tourney, I would say we have a new coach next season. Even if he makes the tourney, and shitty showing probably won't help his cause, just like the NIT showings he has had.

3. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Yes.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

He should get fired. Will he? I don't know. I am not familiar with out UT's financial situation is these days.

5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Heard over the weekend his buyout is ~750K per year and there are 2 years on the deal. That shouldn't be a deterrent.

6. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

the only deterrent I can imagine would be one to keeping him.

7. JohnnyQuickkick

unfortunately those in charge often don't approach things the way we do

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

750K for 2 years?

Never mind, get ready for year 4. We're not going to buy out a basketball coach for 2 years.

9. JohnnyQuickkick

i would think bringing him back to the tune of 5K people in the stands is worse than 1.5M

10. CardinalVol

I don't think anyone over there thinks that way now. At least not the ones who matter.

11. JohnnyQuickkick

Considering Hart was still trying to keep Dooley until the Vanderbilt loss, who knows. It might take a more spectacular collapse than just missing the tourney by a game or so.

12. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

That's because we have ****ing morons in charge. If they don't realize they will come out ahead by paying off a shitty coach and getting a good one, then they are useless as an AD.

13. JohnnyQuickkick

this is the most iffy proposition IMO

14. CardinalVol

What, exactly, have we done under Hart to make you think otherwise?

Of course, assuming Cuonzo is let go, Hart's history of hiring basketball coaches doesn't exactly make me jump with joy.

15. JohnnyQuickkick

public opinion is pretty sour, although pearl being out there has a lot to do with it. if they don't make the tournament they will be under a lot of pressure to do something.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

doubt you'd find a lower buyout around. because of recruiting they'd likely have to extend him if they kept him around so I doubt you'd save much money.

17. CardinalVol

Honestly? Right now I don't think anyone who matters gives two craps about UT basketball. You are talking about an AD who was proud of the fact that he barely spent $100 of UT money on the coaching search. I hope I'm wrong, I just don't see it.

18. JohnnyQuickkick

I also wouldn't be surprised if they let something happen with Pearl before they do it, so that they can then say "well he already took another job, there was nothing we could do"

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you'd certainly know better than I, but $1.5 mil just isn't a big buyout even for basketball these days even for poor schools. that doesn't mean they don't go cheap and stupid with the replacement.

20. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Me neither.