COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I don’t care much about how many unvaccinated people, who choose to be unvaccinated, die moving forward.

I feel for people like Jay, but I also think many of them are doing what Jay is doing.

Edit: the 10k was from VD. Be threw it out there during our discussion about people dying of something other than Covid because they couldn’t get a bed. Those were vaccinated people.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

The CDC link I shared earlier estimated an additional 33% deaths due to indirect effects of COVID on the system AND/OR undiagnosed deaths due to COVID for some period of months last year, relative to COVID deaths.

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I honestly don’t even know that I understand what you’re saying here. Which article? You shared like 20 over the course of our conversation.

4. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

As has been pointed out countless times already (and will undoubtedly be ignored by you yet again) unvaccinated people don't live in a vacuum. Their and your Paleolithic beliefs on vaccines affect vaccinated people and vulnerable populations that can't get vaccinated despite their wish to do so. It's not just them killing each other. Otherwise we wouldn't care.

JayVols likes this.
  5. IP

IP Super Moderator

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Don't know, but the Harvard health blog I linked specifically said the risk from COVID was higher in the context of discussing the vaccine and myocarditis, and in the end a medical doctor should be consulted. Just not getting vaccinated without doing so on the advice of an MD is a mistake.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Here's the thing: one of two things will definitely happen with your brother. He will either not get COVID, or he will. If he does not get COVID, everything is fine. If he does get COVID, and is fine, he was still a potential vector and it was wrong not to get vaccinated as no risk was really avoided. If he gets it and is not fine, it was obviously wrong. So really what is being weighted her is 67 per million, vs whatever the odds are of him NOT getting COVID. In Baltimore (just picking a place relevant to you), the odds would be 1.5 per million every day right now. If he is in Indiana or somewhere else with less vaccination adoption than Baltimore, it will be higher... but even if he lived with you, the odds of him getting COVID are cumulatively larger, since the vaccine is a single event and COVID exposure risk is a continuous risk that won't go away any time soon due to... people not getting vaccinated.

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Did it? I don’t remember it saying that, but maybe you posted more than one Harvard link?

I just remember it included VERY specific statistics (67 cases / million) about myocarditis from the vaccines in boys ages 12-17, but then didn’t list the numbers for myocarditis or heart problems from COVID in boys ages 12-17.

I know that if I was trying to make the case for why someones 12-17 year old boy should get the vaccine, I’d want to show a statistic that says more than 67/million boys ages 12-17 who got COVID experienced myocarditis. That would clearly and unequivocally demonstrate the point.

So the fact that they didn’t include those numbers makes me wonder if the data actually backs that up. If it does, why not say so?

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Didn’t understand your 200k, 33% post earlier. Don’t understand it now.

It’s been a long day and I’m going to bed. I might give it another look tomorrow.

10. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I agree. The article stopped short of making the complete point.

Indy likes this.
  11. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Make a mandate that you have to prove you don't do anything that can affect your health adversely or you can't work, go to the store, leave your house, and if you still won't quit all of your filthy habits, we will fine you until you do. It's very easy. You don't need a shot that may or may not keep you from getting sick, or may or may not keep you from dying.

12. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Every person in the world gets the shot and that's it? Covid disappears? Tomorrow? Or days from now? When is it done?

13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Yes, it would disappear if every single person on the planet got the vaccine. I cannot give you a time frame, and I doubt anyone could, but yes, it would disappear. Just like small pox, just like polio.

Things you and I were forced to get vaccines for when we were children. I (and you) have a scar on our arm from the small pox vaccine. My kids do not, because you and I got rid of it for them.

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Negative outcomes would basically disappear, but I don't think it would disappear as a virus.

This virus is going endemic, if it's not already and is just going to be with us from here on out.

15. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I am not a doctor, but based on past history of vaccines, if every single person on the planet took the COVID vaccine, I don't see why it wouldn't eradicate the virus, and probably post-haste.

Would a new COVID show up? Sure, but COVID-19 would be gone, as far as I understand how vaccines work on a population.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

my understanding is that it would wipe it out, 53. It would drop the K value, which is a modeled factor for how many transmissions can occur from an infected person, to below "1" and quickly fizzle out. Remember, TT posted that graph with different percentages of a population, different vaccine efficacies, and different R0's (how contagious)?

JayVols likes this.
  17. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

A shot is infinitely easier than lifestyle changes. What you are saying is that you are going to place a heavy burden upon people.

Lighter burdens are obviously lighter. Until such time as one exists, it is not "easy." Because it is a heavy burden.

JayVols likes this.
  18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

There's two parts to this. I thought the Delta had such an Ro that there's not enough people to get the vaccination rate high enough to wipe it out as a virus.

Second that the protection from infection is waning, but the protection from negative outcomes seem to be long lasting. The issue is that we're seeing natural spread in wildlife now that will keep the virus in circulation.

I think we're just to the point now that everyone is going to face this virus, and now the choice is that it will either be vaccinated or unvaccinated, and will keep circulating from here on out but is just going to become another cold.

19. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

"Cold" viruses are high mutable viruses. This one is not.

We require 90%+ vaccination rates, which won't happen, because people suck. But if they did, it would end.

In two years, this thing will only affect those who continue to not be vaccinated, due to waning natural immunity, and their children, who have no immunity.

Other than that, it won't be in circulation.

Poppa T and JayVols like this.
  20. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I've got a MacBook Pro....