Bowl Game

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CitrusCo.Vol, Nov 28, 2023.

1. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

So there’s no way Heupel thinks forward…well personally and quite frankly accurately (with no valid argument against me in existence ), I think this is stupid. Like StooleyDinks stupid. I got nothing against Joe but this is next level inbred dumbass.

If our plan is to fail to give meaningful reps to the highest rated recruit in TN history in a somewhat meaningless bowl game which could not only give valuable reps for experience but valuable reps on film, then that is as stupid as anything a coach could do.

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  2. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Is the bowl game more or less meaningful than the Vanderbilt game? Or literally any game we lost to Alabama and were eliminated from SEC title contention? “Meaningless” is a sliding scale. No problem with Heupel wanting to win, no problem with him playing Milton one more game.

3. TDVol1989

Well I disagree. This year is done and has been less than impressive. Use the game to your advantage. Experience

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  4. Tar Volon

It’s not done. There’s still a game left. It’s not a game that really has a whole lot on the line, but we haven’t had a whole lot on the line for a month.

5. TDVol1989

I’m not going to argue with you. But 9-4 vs 8-5 won’t affect my view of the season. We under-performed on the field. Not the record, the eye test. I think there is more to gain by preparing for 2024.

6. Tar Volon

I don’t disagree with any of your first four sentences, and I don’t have a strong disagreement with the last one. But while I know opt-outs have really affected the way we view bowls, I feel like the discussion has gone all the way from “chance to prove ourselves against a team from outside the conference” to “like a spring game, but on TV.” That’s a big spectrum, and I don’t really have a strong objection to anybody viewing it as one extreme or the other or something in between. My only complaint is with the “the coaches have to agree it’s a glorified spring game or else they’re dumb” attitude. If they want to use it that way, fine. If they want to use it as a capstone for the season and a last ride for the seniors? Also fine!

Memtownvol and VOLinDAWGland like this.
  7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I feel like all the side story lines are getting way too big in people's minds. We have a game. We play to win the game. That's it. Play to win the game. Not to win next year's games. Just the one you can actually win now.

8. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Not rewarding seniors and benching them to play young guys to work on next year isn’t how you go about it.

9. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

This right here is the next level inbred dumbass.

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I personally think we should play the walk ons. They work hard all year and have earned their shot.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

No risk to injury for next year's starters, very forward thinking and smart.

CardinalVol likes this.
  12. Volsdude

Volsdude Well-Known Member

There are winning cultures and there are participation trophy cultures

13. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

This fan base is et up with dumbass in a way I’ve never seen right now

justingroves likes this.
  14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Milton shouldn't be forced out, it's his decision on if he's playing or not. Now, I wish he would sit out but I hope he goes for 300 through the air and 100 on the ground

15. CardinalVol

I'm actually now laughing at the absurdity of telling a 6th year senior who could have left but stuck around that he's benched in his final game near his hometown so the freshman can start and play.

That would never be mentioned in every recruiting battle from now to the end of time by other coaches.

16. CardinalVol

Frankly I hope he gets to 531 yards passing.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  17. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

that’s what I’ve been getting at for a bit. We may not like some moves but Heupel is trying to build a culture. Trust. You start pooing on upperclassmen, it can destroy a locker room leaving no trust and poor leadership as upperclassmen show younger players how to go about their business.
    No im not saying play upperclassmen regardless but it just so happens most players are better at 22 than at 18 and if it’s a close race, benefit is given to the older player.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Just a thought here. I realize this game doesn't mean a whole lot and nothing is certain due to NIL departures, but if Heupel has a chance to hang a 50 burger and run it up, he ought to take it. Iowa is going to be competing for one of those 12 playoff spots next year too, in all likelihood. They are in a conference where they can just show up with their shoes tied to win 8 or so games. Tennessee is in a conference where you can literally be one of the 5 best teams in the country and have 2 or 3 losses. This goes for all SEC teams in this mega conference and expanded playoff era that dawns next season: make an impression. You will be scrapping for these bids with the top third of the Big 10 every year. Blowing them out often will tilt things in your favor.

Commissioner Sankey, order the Code Red. If you get one of these Big 10 teams on the ropes, embarrass them. Branding is more than bragging rights, now. The Beauty Pageant matters more than ever.

Tar Volon likes this.
  19. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Yeah. I mean, it would make sense for Nico to play and get the reps and experience for next year, but benching Milton in this game if he wants to play would be detrimental to every other part of the program.

The gripe should be that he's not gotten significant reps before now, not that he doesn't get them in the bowl game.

SetVol13 and justingroves like this.
  20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I am pretty sure we will see Nico mixed in anyway.