2024 Recruiting Class Thread

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by govols182, Oct 16, 2022.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

re: Seaton- I'm not sure it is worth spending a spot on a guy who didn't really want to be here and likely won't want to stay. It doesn't help us get better, even if he is the better player. Would rather invest a year in a guy that is likely to stay and actually play.

But whatever, coaches get paid a lot to figure this stuff out.

2. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

Was trying to think, who is a guy who turned his recruitment into a complete circus and actually had a good career wherever he ended up? Sure it’s happened, but it has to be rare.

IP likes this.
  3. Volsdude

Volsdude Well-Known Member

I’m good with the class. I’d take a 5* tackle any way I could get him given our depth, but that’s just me.

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I’m reminded of this every signing day and have to watch it again.

5. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Nationally, more flips and drama today than I can remember in recent history.

Kinda impressed we handled our business so matter of factly and avoided the theatrics.

6. Ssmiff

Think some of it has to do with the type of player and person we want to fit our culture. Drama free players who built relationships, gave their word and stuck to it without question.
    You know a guy like Mike Matthew’s had $ and cars being thrown at him and his family, but from what it sounds like he may be the type of kid and family who is turned off by the car salesman approach.

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

So we calling for peoples heads or not over today? Need to see if I need to find my pitchfork and torch.

8. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I think we're just still fahrin' Banks and Martinez.

Tar Volon and NorrisAlan like this.
  9. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

I’ve been one of the more vocal I guess, but no I’m not saying that and anybody who is is probably nuts.

That said, at some point you gotta run with the big dogs.

10. Ssmiff

The difference in talent between us and Alabama or Tx at 2 and 3 is 1 5star and 2-3 4stars. That’s it, except they also have 5-7 more commits.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2023
  11. OneForVol

OneForVol Well-Known Member

I’d rather not run with that charlatan Freeze.

12. HCKevinSteele

I don’t blame you. He’s a lot of things, many of them not good, but the man can flat recruit.

13. OneForVol

Unfortunately for him initial recruiting rankings mean way less today than they did a few years ago. It’s way more important to hold on to your recruits with the transfer portal. I guess we will see how long his lies hold up.

14. HCKevinSteele

Lies about what? Are you just saying he’ll say whatever he needs to in order to land a kid? Playing time, how a kid will be used, etc?Honest question. If that’s what you mean, I wasn’t aware of a track record of him doing that . Again, I’m aware of myriad confirmed or rumored stories showing he’s a POS it’s just that that isn’t one of them.

15. OneForVol

Most POS are liars, too.

16. HCKevinSteele

Eh, that’s not really true. Let’s just look at rivals. And for sake of conversation we will assume the rankings are predictive of future performance. Obviously they’re far from perfect but in general they’re reasonably reliable.

Not all 4 stars are created equal. The margin between the highest ranked 4 stars and the lowest ranked 4 stars is pretty wide and that’s what drives the difference between Tennessee and the schools ahead of them in the rankings. At least on Rivals, only your top 20 commits count so having more doesn’t impact so long as everyone has at least 20.

Four stars are assigned one of three scores, 5.8, 5.9 or 6.0. On average, the 6.0 guys are a lot closer to the 5 stars than they are the 5.8 guys. And the 5.9 guys are measurably better than the 5.8 guys. 5.9 and above are what elite rosters are built from. So to pluck a few examples, here’s a 5.9 and above count (excluding 5 stars):

Georgia - 12
    Alabama - 9
    Texas - 8
    Auburn- 8
    Oklahoma- 8
    Tennessee- 4

Again I’m not saying it’s a bad class or drawing any sweeping conclusions, but there is a real difference.

10SEvols likes this.
  17. Ssmiff

It’s mattered for depth but portal is changing some of that as the same highly ranked players leave. I don’t give evaluators, who aren’t coaches and weren’t players, the benefit of doubt to be able to know enough to distinguish between a .4 and .8 or whatever grade.
    When it comes down to it, the difference between a 15 ranking and a 3 ranking comes down to 2-4 recruits imo. If we add 2 5* tonight and 2 4*, we’d be in top 5, regardless of the analysis you did, which is good info. Rankings guys gave a 3* eval to a player who didn’t exist. Remember that? And gave a 5* to Richmond, for example, while I was telling everybody he wasn’t even 4* after watching him live for 10 minutes. I doubt any rankings guys ever saw him in person.

18. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

19. Ssmiff

20. IP

IP Super Moderator