Coaching and Youth Sports

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Mar 25, 2013.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

What happened?

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Losing their best two players to Ac and looks like the twins might jump ship to Grace.

3. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Yea they bounced. Worst kept secret in East Tn. That thing with Grace has been in the works before this season started.

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

63 came out for HS lacrosse tryouts this year. Crazy. After 1 week, 44 are left. Every year parents send their kids out with a stick and pads and say go play lacrosse. Doesn’t work like that. Coaches don’t even have to cut. 2 hours/night, 5 nights/week, including tonight in this nasty weather. Nonstop running, hitting, cut to the goal to take a pass and sling an 80 mph shot on the run…nothing easy about it.

5. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

6. Ssmiff

Special Olympics scrimmage. Come on man…
    Probably 6’5 and has to be a safety issue. He’s on my sons team though so we are expecting a championship of the world.

Attached Files:

7. CardinalVol

8. Ssmiff

9. CardinalVol

Randy Huth, who managed Nolensville Little League to three consecutive Little League World Series appearances, will not return next season.

Huth told The Tennessean on Saturday that league president David Jones informed him of the news Friday.

In a GroupMe chat message Friday with the players and players' parents, Huth wrote that the reason he no longer would be the team's manager was "because multiple parents from the 2023 all star team called (Jones) and told him that I treated their kids unfairly, and they didn't feel like the team was as close as years in the past."

[​IMG]

Huth and Stella Weaver helped Nolensville Little League make national headlines in 2023, when Weaver became the 22nd girl to play in the Little League World Series and Huth became the first person to manage a U.S. program to three consecutive Series. Weaver's four hits broke the U.S. record and tied the overall record for hits by a girl in a series. She also was the first girl to start a game pitching since Mo'ne Davis is 2014. Nolensville's All-Stars ended up finishing fourth in the United States.

finished second in the U.S. in 2022, falling one game shy of playing for the championship. The team lost its only two games in the 2021 Series.

Huth had managed Nolensville Little League's All-Stars since 2017. He nearly quit coaching in 2019, almost a year after his father died, but decided to return, he said, after Jones talked him into it.

[​IMG]

Here is the message Huth sent to the group chat Friday, in its entirety:

"David Jones, the league president, just informed me that I cannot coach this year because multiple parents from the 2023 all star team called him and told him that I treated their kids unfairly, and they didn’t feel like the team was as close as years in the past. Frankly, I am shocked and incredibly sad. If you are one of those parents, all I can do is apologize that you feel that way. There are very few things in this world that I truly love, and one of those is Little League Baseball. To have that taken away rips my heart out."

[​IMG]

Sponsored By State Farm

Coverage how you want it.
    LEARN MORE
    Messages left by The Tennessean for several parents of players on the team have not yet been returned.

Most parents of players on the team were contacted by the Nolensville Little League board and asked for their opinions and input about Huth.

Weaver's parents, Matt and Rachel Weaver, were not contacted by the board, Matt said.

Some parents felt Huth had a big ego and went out of his way to put a lot attention on himself.

"I think that was a fair criticism from the other parents, of, 'Hey, it ain't about you, Coach. It's about the kids,' " Matt Weaver said. "Should that have gotten him fired from this position? I think that's a bit extreme.

"He was a little prickly sometimes. But in my mind you don't achieve that level of success without being a little prickly. I think feelings were hurt. Expectations were exceptionally high. It was championship game or bust. We didn't make it."

Messages left by The Tennessean for members of the Nolensville Little League board were not returned.

10. Ssmiff

Ridiculous but I’ve been seeing this stuff from parents for too long. And the pansy way to go to the boss as a group, secretly organizing behind people’s backs. I’m sure the dude has some ego and tough. He also went to 3 straight, so tryout somewhere else if you don’t like it.
    If your kid has an issue with attention, PT or unsure of their role, as a parent even when a kid is 13, you tell the kid to go look the coach in the eye and talk. Find out what you need to do. Never talking to the coach about it is weak as it gets. Little rats. I hope their names come out and I’m sure most people down the road are pissed and those families don’t want their names to come out.

11. Ssmiff

Ours is Xbox X. Think my son would sell for $275 if anyone is interested. Save you a couple hundred to put towards a racing wheel or something. Car racing games with a steering wheel and gas/break are fun.

12. Ssmiff

Son playing Special Olympics hoops tourney tomorrow. I wish I enjoyed life as much as these young adults.

Poppa T, VolDad and NorrisAlan like this.
  13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

every all star team we have people end up hating the coach. your kid goes from the star to a role player and people lose their minds.

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Getting harder and harder to find good people that want to deal with it.

15. Ssmiff

Team had its preseason Remember The Titans camp last weekend. Still getting mud out of clothes.

Attached Files:

16. CardinalVol

Last night was 2nd night in pads this spring. We won't be as big as last year, but we may be more physical. The grizzled o-line coach even cracked a smile of approval a few times.

Oklahoma drills are one of the greatest inventions of man.

justingroves likes this.
  17. Ssmiff

Defending state title begins this weekend at Houston and at Collierville. We lost a lot on defense after giving up just 4 goals a game last year, including a USA AA. We will likely give up 8+ but avg 14 a game last year and only lost 1 on offense. We got a kid going to top 10 Michigan and his younger brother is a top 100 2026 player in the country. Gonna be fun to watch.

18. Ssmiff

Beat Houston 13-1 and Collierville 16-6. Son backed off help D in the game and didn’t finish thru this guy. I asked him and he just shook his head like stfu. 6’6 295 vs 5’10 145 woulda looked like a movie scene

Attached Files:

19. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Someone's dad gets into the game?

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

My 12 year old has decided to give football a go for the middle school, workouts start next week.

My middle one is playing baseball and junior pro football

My daughter is softball, ballet and fiddle lessons

VolDad and CardinalVol like this.