Song of the Day Thread from A College Library

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by kidbourbon, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

@emainvol

No idea how much you’re actually paying attention to all this stuff, but I have a mini theory.

Kendrick references Drake’s Meek Mill diss, “Back to Back” in Euphoria and mentions that he likes it. Then, in the next line, he says something about how he’s going to “circle back to that” later… But then he never does… At least in this song.

Back to Back was the second diss track (hence the name) in a row that Drake had released during that particular response to that beef. I’m thinking Kendrick might be saying he’s going to release a second diss track in the coming days.

Furthermore, Kendrick is big on one-word dualities. Like in his album, “Damn.” He had a song called “Pride” and a song called “Humble.” Had a song called “Lust” and a song called “Love.”

I’m thinking that could mean a second diss is coming, and it’s going to be titled whatever the opposite of Euphoria is. Would be awesome.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I eat so many shrimp, I got iodine poisoning

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

4. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I’ve really appreciated the dissertation on rap beefs, as somebody who grew up in the heights of the 90s.

Still, really struggling to care about a couple of guys lobbing yo mama jokes back and forth at each other. Let me know when they get the heat out.

5. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Pulled out my Allman Bros Fillmore East album this a.m. I still love listening to "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" as much as I did the first time. One of my favorite old school instrumentals.

justingroves, The Dooz and NorrisAlan like this.
  6. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

There isn’t a better band to put on while driving around with the windows down imo

Poppa T likes this.
  7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Again, I just really don’t get this sort of take. Yo mama jokes?

There’s a growing collection of people who think Kendrick’s reference to New Ho King (Chinese restaurant in Toronto) is him subtlety saying that Drake was behind the murder of Toronto rapper Sizzlac. I first saw the theory on Reddit, but it has since made its way to Twitter. Look it up.

Accusing someone of hiring a hitman to murder a rival seems at least a step or two above a “yo mamma” joke.

8. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

9. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I tried to get us off the "rap beef" line.

But failed. Carry on.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  10. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

The near hour long whipping post>mountain jam is as good as it gets.

Poppa T and justingroves like this.
  11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Indy, we watched Tupac and Biggie die.

12. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Ok, boomer

emainvol likes this.
  13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

So what? There's an ocean between "yo momma jokes" and "Pac and Biggie dying."

Is Ether not a good diss track because Jay-Z and Nas are both still alive? Cube runs a damn professional sports league, so I guess No Vaseline was just a bunch of "yo momma" jokes.

This is a silly conversation, and not because Indy likes rap beef.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

We don't need you to explain diss tracks

The Dooz likes this.
  15. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I have one of the 6x6 roof supports on my 600 sq ft deck off back of pool that has
    "<buddy's name> Whipping Post" dremmeled into it. He helped build and had a helluva time cutting the floor board angle going into that post.

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Need or want? Because the posts in this thread about “yo mama jokes” and “my dad could beat up your dad” suggest cluelessness.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Kendrick dropped another one:

"6:16 in LA"

June 16th is Father's Day in Canada. In other words, Kendrick is telling Drake he's his daddy.

18. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

And now Drake responded. What a week.

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Holy [uck fay], Kendrick released another diss within minutes. It’s been up 10 minutes and already has 300k+ views.