2020-ish Tokyo Olympics

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Unimane, Jul 22, 2021.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Not that I recall.

2. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Interesting.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

There are at least two confounding height-related elements in soccer as I see it. Shorter players are harder to mark, have a lower center of gravity, and are literally "closer to the ball" which sounds silly but however it works they are better in possession. Relatively taller players have more power and obviously have an advantage in aerial play, and thus defending to some extent. So anybody from 5'5 to 6'5 can find an established way to be an effective player. Just saying "I'd like to see so and so go up against some one x taller" doesn't make sense in soccer, because it is played both on the turf and in the air.

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I didnt realize that's what he was referencing. If the ball is 5 yards in front of 2 players and pulisic is one of them, I'm probably still going to bet on him. Soccer is about all those things obviously, foot speed especially for strikers.
    Why is so hard to believe there are younger players who are better?
    Getting an invite to the USA academy is a flawed process, and can be political as well. Just because someone doesn't play for them, doesn't mean they couldn't fare well. Same for coaches in all sports. There are people at home that didn't take the coaching route, that could do better jobs on game day. There are HS coaches who are better than NFL coaches at teaching the game, but they didn't want that route or schmooze the right people or have family already in the business.
    I really have no idea why you guys think there aren't better, younger players out there than her but it's certainly your right to think she's the best there is.

5. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Being closer to the ground is a key element, as you say. Maradona was so tough because he was quick, but phenomenal feet and hard knock off the ball despite his short stature.

Of course, to counter all of this, the most talented player I've ever seen and maybe ever was a 6 foot athletic marvel and speed merchant from Brazil with incredible skills until his body broke down.

tvolsfan likes this.
  6. IP

IP Super Moderator

5-10 to 6 ft gives you a little of both worlds. Depends on one's build of course.

7. Ssmiff

Now Messi and Maradona? Great comparisons again. Quick as lightning and crazy feet, vs rapinoe who can't beat a defender 1 v 1.

8. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

It’s also worth pointing out that “right now and the last couple of years” it’s likely that she was playing against players who were younger, fastest and stronger and still managed to have the last couple of years she had.

9. Ssmiff

If you really believe there aren't better players out there who didn't get in the hype van to be invited to play, that's fine. It's not an Allstar team handpicked every year after watching 1000s of women play. The same players wouldn't be there year after year after year if it was.

10. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Pato?

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Depends who your target audience is.

12. Unimane

Jo.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

I have said the opposite of this since before the Olympics. This is an older team for no other reason than the national pay and the compensation situation for women's soccer. Literally said so. That is a far, far cry from acting like Rapinoe is not a good player.

14. Ssmiff

Don't believe I said she was not good. Just think she is overhyped and there are better players out there. Thinking a player not in Tokyo means they couldn't compete is just ignorance and naivety of how the system works. Not all players can get involved with ODPs for one reason or another, whether it be due to having to work, caregiver duties, not having a coach seek publicity for you or not having the means to travel and pay any fees

15. Unimane

There is a long way from ODPs to Olympic, national team level. We're talking a player who is two years removed from winning the Balon d'Or for the best player in the world. There aren't girls out there working 9 to 5 jobs who are anywhere in this universe, even if they are 6 feet tall and really fast.

There may be better players out there right now, which I would agree. But, those players aren't toiling in obscurity, nor are they teenagers entering the college ranks, hoping to get some playing time in the SEC. Catarina Macario was the best player in college for the past few years and she wasn't able to get on the field like Rapinoe did for the Olympics.

This is a losing argument. Stop digging.

16. Ssmiff

That's like, your opinion man. You just admitted there were better players out there. To then say they aren't in college is again, just another opinion. I'm not changing my mind and you disagree with my opinion, which is all fine.

17. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I thought you were talking about Ronaldo.

18. Unimane

You always go with "it's just my opinion" and "I'm not changing my mind" when confronted by the obvious flaws in your argument.

Look, I could say "My farts don't smell bad" and then just say it's my opinion, but it doesn't make it true in a practical sense. That's why I said all opinions aren't equal. Saying there are hundreds of players out there better than someone who was world player of the year recently and highly accomplished, but those players simply are undiscovered, is kind of absurd. I think what you are seeing in person is skewing what you observe on TV.

SetVol13 likes this.
  19. Unimane

Oh, I was. The real Ronaldo, though.

tvolsfan likes this.
  20. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I forgot about the ballon d’or she also won “right now and the last couple of years” to go along with everything else she won in that time frame.