2024 Recruiting Class Thread

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by govols182, Oct 16, 2022.

1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Basilio has been hearing from his guy that they were interested in him but cautious at the same time because he is a known head case.

2. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Who said that?

3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Portal Wr from Aggies.

4. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Bru is coming back so he is out.

5. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

With what we have in Bru, Squirrel and Brazzell and what I think Matthews will be from the second he hits the field, Stewart would have been a luxury anyway

And that isn’t even counting Thornton if he comes back as the same guy he was in the second half of the season or any of the other guys in the receiver room making a big jump in progression.

Receiver room is looking like an embarrassment of riches

zehr27 likes this.
  6. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Yea we simply don't have room for him now. I also have seen smoke out there saying he might be, like, a tad "Jermaine Burton crazy". The WR room is way too loaded already for us to be needing to put our chips in on a potential problem guy.

VOLinDAWGland likes this.
  7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

So this was interesting. Anonymous interviews with players at the UA All-American game -

https://theathletic.com/5175508/202...s-nil-rule-changes/?source=emp_shared_article

Highlights -

1. Guys don't care as much about NIL as most think they do at this level. Most were about fit and being developed for next level.

2. Good quote on Heupel - • I want to say between (Tennessee’s) coach Heup (Josh Heupel) and (Oregon’s) Dan Lanning. Coach Heup, down to earth guy. … He’s really nice. Off the field, he’s a nice guy. Good person and he actually cares about his players. He knows his players. His players can come to him, and I see that with my own eyes. And then Dan Lanning, not a lot of people know this, I’m not sure, but his wife had cancer. … I feel like just to open up about that — because he knew me for probably about four or five, six, seven months (and) he’s known his wife probably for forever — I don’t know how to say it, but he’s a soft heart.

3 - Weird/Arrogant coaches -

• Probably (Colorado’s) Deion (Sanders). It’s all love though. He goes about it in his own unique way. It’s not arrogance — just cockiness.

• (Rutgers’ Greg Schiano) was too robotic.

• Nobody was really arrogant. (Clemson coach Dabo) Swinney isn’t stuck in his ways but doesn’t really want to change much.

• I’d say coach Saban. My mom wasn’t happy with him. We were at a table eating and he acknowledged me, but not my parents. My mom said, “If you’re acknowledging my son, you should acknowledge me.”

• I didn’t like (Nick) Saban. It was just the vibe.

• (Ex-Texas A&M coach) Jimbo Fisher. I watched him in practice. He yelled and cussed at guys too much.

• Fisher and Saban. Talking to Saban felt like talking to a robot. It didn’t feel real.

IP likes this.
  8. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Am I the only person who thinks the receiving corps is just okay? Even with Bru, this crop has not shown themselves to be world beaters yet.

KyleAlexanderfan and 10SEvols like this.
  9. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I expect some development. Nobody saw Hyatt coming either. Maybe nobody makes that jump but it’ll be fine.

10. Ssmiff

Webb and nimrod aren’t difference makers and wouldn’t start for other sec teams.
    Bru, squirrel, Thornton, Brazell is some size and speed to try out though. Expect Thornton to look different this year. He was coming along better. He wasn’t prepared to read defenses and make right choices on choice routes we run, then started overthinking and got the drops at the same time.

11. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Moving Thornton out of the slot helped. I like this group's potential upside. Nico will throw a more consistent, catchable ball.

Memtownvol, IP and HCKevinSteele like this.
  12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Bru - Good hands, tough, disappears for long stretches even when healthy

Squirrel - Quick, pretty good hands, weighs a buck and a quarter and is not as elusive as he's given credit

Thornton - Charmin, a rich man's Nimrod

Brazzell - See Thornton until proven otherwise

I'm not saying these guys can't get better or are bad (well mostly), but they're just kind of okay.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is going to be different when 4 guys aren't trying to split up 12 or 15 completions a game. More catchable balls, more rhythm, less boredom...

14. Ssmiff

I mentioned I didn’t like some stuff I saw with Thornton in his first practices. His get off and footwork first 5 yards looked below average to me. Takes awhile for him to get up to speed and we don’t have that much time too often. He got better but is hitch or deep ball only.
    I don’t see the same issues with Brazell. He runs a whip route at 6’5 like a 5’11 slot wr and can get separation near the Los.

15. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Against nobodies.

16. Ssmiff

good feet is good feet. I’m talkin bout advanced scouting. Professional esque analysis.

17. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I'll wait and see.

18. Ssmiff

takes no effort or skillset

19. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

People are saying it’s arguably the best room in the country, and it’s far from that. There’s not a 1st or 2nd round pick in the group, but it should be a solid, productive unit. There’s nothing more important than having an accurate quarterback who can make good decisions and throw guys open.

Bru’s return is huge for the run game, screen game, and identity of the offense. He’s a big-bodied, sure-handed possession receiver who can sustain drives, and he can spring other guys for big plays with his physicality on the outside.

20. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

No offense smiff, but when I want the name of a good Ortho, I'll hit you up. Otherwise...