A recruiting update

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by volwarrior33, Jul 10, 2012.

1. volwarrior33

volwarrior33 Member

Tennessee is the favorite to land Austin Nichols according to one poster on VolQuest who was reliable throughout the Stokes recruitment. Rob Lewis says Tennessee is in "very good shape" right now. He plans to sign in the spring. He will officially visit Tennessee in the fall.

Robert Hubbs listed a top 2 of Tennessee and Duke this week. He will also officially visit in the fall.

Tennessee is still right in the thick of things with JW3 and will get an official visit according to Rob Lewis.

Nick King surprised many by listing a final 4 of Vandy, Tennessee, Memphis, and Texas this evening. He had not mentioned the Vols in the last 3 or 4 months prior to trimming his list. He will officially visit Knoxville in the fall as well.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Wow. All things considered, this is amazing.

3. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Holy crap. I hope/think a lot of these kids are going to be able to relate to Coach Martin and his background. Grew up in a tough city and has beaten a lot of odds in his life.

4. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Now comes the hard part. Wade Houston used to talk about how close he came to signing guys like Corliss Williamson, Glenn Robinson, Alan Henderson, and Lawrence Funderburke. All getting close gets you is fired. Coach Martin and his staff have done a magnificent job of getting themselves in position. It's now all about closing.

5. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Stokes a precursor to the closing abilities?

6. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Hope he is the player that gets everything rolling. Recruiting and on-court play.

7. volwarrior33

volwarrior33 Member

Getting the state's top 4 players on campus officially is an exceptional job. Landing Hubbs and Nichols would be a success, adding one of the other two would blow any expectation I had for him as a recruiter out of the water.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I really want Counzo to win big here. Hopefully this is a sign of how he's going to recruit here

9. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

As do I.

10. hatvol96

Only if you sign at least one of them. Otherwise, it's no different than if they cut us from their list today.

11. hatvol96

He had some advantages in roster space and timing with Stokes. These are head to head fights on even footing. We'll know a great deal about where this program is headed when this signing class is complete.

12. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I expect Cuonzo's character and person will continue to get him in doors. I am just afraid we'll be bridesmaid too often. Hopefully he'll get his share of them to sign on the dotted line.

13. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Not to be negative but I can't help but think of all the times I've heard guys say things like "the class is setting up nicely" or "in on some big time recruits" in regards to [ddiapos]. Having already signed Stokes last year makes me feel better about our chances, but I feel like it's too early to be too excited.

14. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Any predictions about how this plays out?

15. CardinalVol

I am not expecting JW3. I do think we've got a great chance to get 1 of the other 3 and a decent chance to get 2 of 3.

16. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I just don't get the same vibe from Cuonzo I get from Dooley. Time will tell of course.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Counzo is the polar opposite of [ddiapos] in regards to how he goes about his business.

18. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I wasn't trying to compare Martin to Dooley. I just think you have to be careful about getting excited about recruiting before anyone actually makes their decision.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I know, I just have a lot more faith in Counzo than I do Dooley to do anything correctly.

20. CardinalVol

Including coaching the game of football.