Another split for the fan base over a coach?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by SavageOrangeJug, Oct 31, 2011.

1. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Last year's Vandy squad was the worst SEC football team I have ever seen. Kentucky's win over a Carolina team that imploded without Lattimore and weirdly close home loss to Auburn made people believe they were better than they actually were.

2. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

He's here through 2013 so might as well sit back and enjoy and keep the vitriol to a minimum. Though I think starting with the Johnny to Fulmer transition then the late Fulmer slide much of the fan base became quite addicted to pissing and moaning.

I have no idea whether or not Dooley is the long term answer and neither does anyone else. He's recruiting decently and this year's class appears to be heading for quite exceptional territory. Worst case he's David Shula and brings some much needed stability and sets the table for someone else to run with it. Given where we were in the late Fulmer years through the Kiffin debacle, I'll take that.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That's not guaranteed.

I like Dooley but he's got to start winning to keep the people that make decisions happy.

4. VOLinDAWGland

A bunch of you on here are like my kids on a long trip with the constant "are we there yets". This program was a disaster and it ain't going to magically get fixed in a season or two by anyone.

Why anyone given the roster issues with youth and injuries expected a win over a much more stable and mature South Carolina team is beyond me. Just because you 'expect' us to be better than USCe doesn't make it so and the fact that we are not has nothing to do with [ddiapos] or whoever else would be struggling with this situation right now as a head coach.

So far this is nothing compared to the early Johnny years. Anyone here remember those? Anyone? Bueller?

5. VOLinDAWGland

If he puts together a decent year next year, and with Bray and Hunter back, I see at least 8 wins on the schedule easy, he'll be here through 2013. I have no idea, nor opinion at this point, beyond that.

6. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

i don't think the people that make the decisions are stupid enough to believe he would win right away

7. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

No one is asking for him to win as much as Saban did at Bama in year 3.

Hell, we're not even asking for him to win as much as Mike Shula did at Bama in year 3.

However, I think the peple who decide if he'll get a 4th year want to make sure that Dooley shows them something before they waste more time and money on someone with no track record of winning at any level.

8. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I don't think he meant that, and the people that make the decisions don't either. His first 2 seasons were on the house (in regards to final record, there are signs of changing direction and being stuck in the mud. That is what we are looking for right now).

He doesn't have to win the SEC next year or even the east. But 6 or 7 wins with what he has coming back, considering the east being down and dropping LSU is gonna put him in a tough spot as far as getting another year.

9. Beechervol

I think he needs 8 and should get 9 considering the factors.

10. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

don't you think it's kind of hard to really see if we are stuck in the mud with the injuries? the florida game is what i look at. wasn't it 30-7 at one point? if this was a fulmer led team then the game was about to be 50 something to 7. i was actually impressed with the way the guys kept fighting. however, against lsu/bama you basically have to throw out the second halves of those games due to the talent on the other team. i completely agree that we should start seeing signs on how dooley will be next year.

11. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Dawg, if you are including me as being like one of your kids, you haven't paid attention to what I have said. I have not called for CDD's firing one time. We haven't even come close to that level yet. He's been here 1 1/2 seasons. I want to see improvement; that's all. My expectations on the level of improvement have been lowered due to the injuries. In my eyes, we have seen a team that has not shown an appropriate level of improvement, makes silly lack of focus mistakes, and makes questionable decisions. If you think that expecting the team to show a reasonable level of improvement is pissing and moaning, then I guess I'm guilty as homemade sin. I am no college level coach, but I have 15 years of varsity high school football coaching experience, so I am not a reactionary dumbass when it comes to the game.This team is making mistakes that we can remedy at the high school level. I never made a prediction on win/loss record. I have said that I expect only improvement. Again, I'm talking about improvement relative to experience and talent. If our talent and experience are as shitty as some claim (and I'm not saying it isn't), seeing improvement should be easy as they have so many issues to improve upon. We can either make the no talent and youth excuse all day and accept the sloppy play, or we can hold feet to the fire and expect more. Excuses are excuses. 'Yeah, but' can be applied to any situation, but in the end it's still just an excuse. No one on this board that has been critical expects the team to be world beaters. We do expect the staff who is being paid millions of dollars collectively to teach fundamentals. We are not fundamentally sound. In fact, we are no where close to being fundamentally sound at this time. Age, depth, and experience have no bearing on basic fundamentals. If we have to have all-American seniors across the board to know how and who to block and to know the snap count in critical situations, we are in worse shape than anyone realizes.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Not really sure what the evidence is that wins will be coming. Yeah, Hunter and Bray are awesome. They were pretty much that way when they arrived on campus. Once Hunter went down, our coaching staff shat themselves for half a game, which is very discomforting. The fact that the running game is not 1% better despite returning the running back, fullback, both QBs, and the entire OL is alarming. The fact that even before Bray went down we played like crap against UGA is scary. And yes, despite being without Bray and Hunter, a mediocre South Carolina team missing three of its best players toying with a UT team in Neyland is not at all assuring.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I was impressed they didn't give up. I wasn't impressed that coaches essentially surrendered by letting Poole waste the first half after he'd already proven against Montana and Cinncy that he couldn't produce.

14. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

OK, if I understand correctly, Fulmer's team would have quit, we were worse in 1977, and the talent level is off so everybody who isn't sold on Dooley should shut the hell up.

I'm not sure I'm on board with that.

15. LWSVOL

LWSVOL New Member

cost is dictated by the number of boosters willing to put up the money to pay big time salary. they felt burnt by Kiffin and Pearl. I think that is why we went low on FB and BB hires. not sure when they will be willing to contribute

16. Daddy Gee

Daddy Gee Chieftain

lws, we paid kiffin $2 million in 2009, and pearl started here at under $1 million. Have we ever really paid a big time salary to a coach upon a new hire? The going rate in cfb is apparently around $4 million to get a 'sure thing' ... saban.

imo, it's comical to invest millions in facilities and yet be unwilling to fork out the necessary money for a coach. you would think you could structure a contract so that you aren't screwed on the tail end if things don't work out ... i.e. "we'll pay you $4 million a year for 3 years. if you're not getting it done you're gone w/ a minimal buyout"

what's the difference in that and what we're doing with dooley ... ~$2 million a year w/ a $5 million buyout ...

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I thought kiffin had the highest paid coaching staff in teh country. remember coach o and his dad were making $1 mil a year.

18. Beechervol

IIRC Saban made more than LK, MK, and EO combined while they were at UT.

19. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

I believe so, if you count just the staff minus the head coach.

20. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I don't think people who aren't on board with Dooley need to shut the hell up, rather see the situation for what it is. It's fine if you don't think Dooley is the guy, but before we call the executioner lets give him an opportunity to be successful. That opportunity will be here sooner than later and if he doesn't work out than so be it. Until then, it is what it is and the staff is working with what they've got. Nothing more and nothing less.